Thread: Topcoat treatment for black lambskin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

>>> Acidifier to clean the leather > hydrator > fatliquor > topcoat

Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0/Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 (These are the continuous wet processing) >>> Dry Prep with Eraser-4/Sand2000 >>> Inspection with Surfactant-3.6 >>> AnilineTop-76G >>> Protector-B/B+

>>> By the way, what can I do to smoothen the surface of the black bag after using Stripper? Are my previous post.

Sand2000 is used to smooth out AnilineTop-76G in between dry coatings. (Never use Sand2000 on crust leather surfaces).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> Acidifier to clean the leather > hydrator > fatliquor > topcoat

Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0/Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 (These are the continuous wet processing) >>> Dry Prep with Eraser-4/Sand2000 >>> Inspection with Surfactant-3.6 >>> AnilineTop-76G >>> Protector-B/B+

>>> By the way, what can I do to smoothen the surface of the black bag after using Stripper? Are my previous post.

Sand2000 is used to smooth out AnilineTop-76G in between dry coatings. (Never use Sand2000 on crust leather surfaces).
    What does surfactant 3.6 do? It’s not in the kit. Does the topcoat not adhere well because the leather is dry?

Also, can sand2000 smoothen out the leather when it’s patchy? This area is already smooth, and I don’t want to risk breaking the stitches.

Name:  188BFF08-65D9-4643-903F-BF88528BDFFB.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  81.4 KB

>>> What does surfactant 3.6 do?

LeatherSurfactant-3.6 by Leather Doctor is a pH 3.6 leather-safe water-based surface-active-agent solution for lowering the surface tension so as to improve structure penetration to give better adhesion properties. It also facilitates the penetration and distribution of impregnation resin and adhesion coating. And also improves the uniformity for dyestuff staining thus reducing blotchiness.

Instruction:

1 Spray over the surface, brush-in accordingly to break surface tension for an even appearance.

2 Towel extract until it shows dry and is ready to proceed with the desired application.

https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathersurfactant-3-6/

>>> It’s not in the kit.

You can purchase as an add-on to any of the kit . . .

>>> Does the topcoat not adhere well because the leather is dry?

There are many reasons, grease is one, the other is that the surface is dry rotting, and many other reasons, that is why Adhesor-73, Aniline-76 is used prior to AnilineTop-76G.

>>> Also, can sand2000 smoothen out the leather when it’s patchy?

You are taking a big risk of “suede” the leather if it's “grain”.
    Patchy of remaining unwanted finishes may need the help of a stripping brush
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/strippingbrush-9/

>>> This area is already smooth, and I don’t want to risk breaking the stitches.

Never use Sand2000 on crust leather and stitches, only to smooth out topcoats.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> What does surfactant 3.6 do?

LeatherSurfactant-3.6 by Leather Doctor is a pH 3.6 leather-safe water-based surface-active-agent solution for lowering the surface tension so as to improve structure penetration to give better adhesion properties. It also facilitates the penetration and distribution of impregnation resin and adhesion coating. And also improves the uniformity for dyestuff staining thus reducing blotchiness.

Instruction:

1 Spray over the surface, brush-in accordingly to break surface tension for an even appearance.

2 Towel extract until it shows dry and is ready to proceed with the desired application.

>>> ItÂ’s not in the kit.

You can purchase as an add-on to any of the kit . . .

>>> Does the topcoat not adhere well because the leather is dry?

There are many reasons, grease is one, the other is that the surface is dry rotting, and many other reasons, that is why Adhesor-73, Aniline-76 is used prior to AnilineTop-76G.

>>> Also, can sand2000 smoothen out the leather when itÂ’s patchy?

You are taking a big risk of “suede” the leather if it's “grain”.
    Patchy of remaining unwanted finishes may need the help of a stripping brush
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/strippingbrush-9/

>>> This area is already smooth, and I donÂ’t want to risk breaking the stitches.

Never use Sand2000 on crust leather and stitches, only to smooth out topcoats.
    Hi Roger,

IÂ’ve said before that there are no finishes left. The patches are leather which have the top surface removed. How would you recommend to fix this?

How do I repair this circled patch? The top layer has been rubbed off by several layers of stripper and eraser.
    Name:  06DAFBEE-BD6C-40DE-974B-831E95206116.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  100.1 KB

>>> How do I repair this circled patch? The top layer has been rubbed off by several layers of stripper and eraser.

Repair is done with Bond-3D > Adhesor-73 to bond down the flap or edge of peel and Adhesor-73 for lighter skin smooth effect.

Take note that such repairs will bring up shine to the appearance.

Note: repairs are prior to a refinishing, and it is incomplete by itself.

Here is the Leather Problem Solving Matrix

Name:  aniline-a.fs-full-sauvage.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  138.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-20-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Thread Information