Thread: Help with this Bicast Leather Couch - The finish appears to be flaking off!

Default Help with this Bicast Leather Couch - The finish appears to be flaking off!

I purchased two rather pricy couches several years ago. I don't remember what sort of leather it was. I tried contacting the retailer and the manufacturer to no avail. Can you help?

The finish appears to be flaking off, and it has been going on for a long time. I never thought there might be a way to fix it. I am thinking of buying new couches, but before I do, a friend suggested refinishing. This is the center of the seat cushion, which is showing the most wear.

Name:  couch.jpg
Views: 5217
Size:  125.3 KB

What is causing this and how can I correct it? The color is good, so I don't think coloration is necessary. It is more in the finish.

THANK YOU!!!

This is common to "Aniline" leathers - cause by wear and flexing.

Yes it can be restored!

Please show some more pictures, one on the unused area, maybe the reverse of the cushion, we go from there.

The entire couch a well.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thanks for your response! It took me a while to get the pictures. I will post more in my next message.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by lovinit; 08-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.

More images...Name:  photo (7).JPG
Views: 3815
Size:  79.0 KBName:  photo (8).JPG
Views: 3747
Size:  270.1 KBName:  photo (9).JPG
Views: 3666
Size:  79.1 KBName:  photo (6).JPG
Views: 3737
Size:  93.4 KBName:  photo (10).JPG
Views: 4190
Size:  120.5 KB

So I actually have 2 identical Actona couches, purcahsed from a store that has since gone out of business. I have not been able to get info from the manufacturer. The main problem is this peeling effect in the center seat - one has seen slightly more wear than the other, but both are showing the signs. It does have a few scratches and things from wear, but they are not really noticable.

Is there anything I can do to restore these? I do love them so...

What products / kit should I use?

Thank you so much for your advice!

The last picture of post #3 shows the arm with scratches, it also shows quite distinctly the characteristic typical of “Bicast” leather.

The second picture of Post #4 shows the reverse side with very coarse suede, yet another typical characteristic of bicast leather using the lowest grade of split suede to used as the base for the finish film to be laminated.

The fifth picture of post #5 shows flap of the peeling film, which does not happen to aniline leather I first mentioned.

Good pictures help in the positive identification of leather, which is the first step to cleaning and restoration.

Bicast sheet lamination is done by special manufacturing machine and there is no way to do such lamination on a manufactured item like this sofa.

The recommended procedure to do a repair to the finish close to how it looks is as follows without the imitation film grain texture.

Sequence of Processes:

Remove all Peeling
    This is done with the help of leather Eraser-4 in combination with fine sanding either dry removal to remove the excess or during the more effective wet degreasing process with Eraser-4.

Degreasing
    This is done with Degreaser-2.2 (pH 2.2) to remove any oily soiling contamination that may impede proper adhesion of the new finish; follows with Rinse-3.0 (pH 3.0). During this rinsing process effort is made to completely remove the deteriorated finish to have an even appearance, otherwise the patchiness might see through the new finish.

Leather Rejuvenation
    This is leather rejuvenating process is to impart leather suppleness and strength when the leather dries. It’s done first with Hydrator-3.3 (pH 3.3) to check for surface tension if any and see that the appearance evens out prior to fatliquor replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 (pH 5.0)

Sealer Coating
    This is done with application of Adhesor-73 to seal the leather to have a smooth surface of even absorption prior to application of color coating.

Opaque Pigment Color Coating
    Typical color for brown bicast is either “antique”, “red-brown” or “dark-brown” (yet to be confirm). This coating blocks off any color difference the leather may have to an even color appearance.

Transparent Aniline Color Coating
    This is the secondary transparent dyestuff that imitates aniline leather to give the depth of beauty; otherwise the base color appearance appears too flat.

Rub Resistant Protection
    This protection helps reduce friction wear to the finish, non-stick with a classic leather scent.

Looks like the product mention for this project is all here, with changes to the color and topcoat by replacing the Aniline Dye-21 with Bicast Pigment-32 and Bicast Dye-76, including Bicast Topcoat-66G

Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather – Color Refinisher & Degreaser – Kit A6.dr

Bicast Leather Dyeing System (5):
    Red Brown, or
    Antique Brown, or
    Dark Brown, &
    Topcoat-66G

Email me of your interest and we shall prepare you with a PayPal invoice.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information