Thread: Aniline Wax Pull-up - Restoration Hardware - Sofa becomes sticky, rough in texture and lost its waxy sheen.

Default Aniline Wax Pull-up - Restoration Hardware - Sofa becomes sticky, rough in texture and lost its waxy sheen.

Roger
    It seems that some areas of the cushions have lost their waxy sheen and become a little dull and almost darker in appearance.
    I cleaned them with Lexol and those dark areas became almost rough in texture.
    Looks like it has lost its finish and they are the dark brown library chair and couch.
    By the way, I couldn't believe that for the money I paid for them they're made in china.
    Sad!

The set is 3 years old.
    I do want to bring it back to original.
    It is still supple.

You are spot on.
    It became sticky and rough after I applied the Lexol last Saturday.
    I have never used any other cleaner other than Lexol.
    I do have 3 kids and a black lab that sneaks up there sometimes when we go to bed.

Questions from Michael.

If your intent is to bring it back to its original, then we should be looking at picture #5; the reverse unused areas.
    In comparison with picture #1 - This looks like most of the fatliquor, wax effect and dye has diminished; besides the light surface scratches, stickiness and roughness mentioned after cleaning it.

I suggest a refinishing test is necessary to see how close we can bring the finish back to the original.

Test 1 - Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Wax Effect-8.6

Test 2 – Aniline Dye-21 (dark brown) > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Wax Effect-8.6

On the actual cushion picture #1, the restorative cleaning will include the following process:

1] Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0
    This process is to remove body contact oil, grease and sweat that may have contribute to the “almost darker in appearance” dissatisfaction.

2] The stickiness if it is from foreign contamination may be removed by above degreasing and rinse; otherwise has to be acidified with Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) to neutralize alkaline over exposure.

3] Thereafter, either “test 1 or test 2 applies”.

4] The lost of shine, roughness will be restored by Aniline Topcoat-79Gloss.

Here’s the problem solving guide for reference. . .

Aniline Wax Pull-Up Leather : Leather-Safe Problem Solving Guide-AW9

Leather Doctor® Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather – Color Refinisher, Degreaser & Tackiness Control – Kit Aw6.dt

Dark Brown

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 07-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Thread Information