Thread: Does Anyone know anything about Wild Boar Hide? Pictures inside!

Default Does Anyone know anything about Wild Boar Hide? Pictures inside!

Hello there – I joined this forum specifically to see if anyone had any information on this unique briefcase I came across.
    Here are some photos:
    http://imgur.com/a/YLLf1#0

I’m a vintage clothing seller and am usually quite good at finding information about brands and proper care for different fabrics and materials. But I couldn’t find anything in my research regarding wild boar. I realize it’s probably not THAT rare, but I can’t seem to turn up any answers.

I know it was made sometime in the 80s – as the Michael Scott brand was only active then. But I know nothing else.

I can’t find a thing on the value and proper care for wild boar hide. I assume the leather conditioner I have will do?
    Any estimates on value? Is it even that rare (or are my internet research skills lacking)?

Many thanks!

Last edited by Roger Koh; 09-13-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Picture #1 shows the typical hair follicles from these skins quite similar to ours human. Stain easily penetrates through these pores quicker than other smooth skin types. Leather is acidic and more so if it is vegetable tanned as you can see it causes tarnishes to the brass chain; and may transfer back to the leather as tarnish stain removal with d’Tarnish-1.3 safely.

Picture #2 shows grease built up that shines the leather and darkens it. This is removed by using Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0 safely with marks or rings.

Picture #3 shows the stains markings and could be treated with d’Tannin-3.5 to even out the appearance. To keep the leather supple with softness and strength and prevents from over drying that leads to cracks, leather rejuvenating is recommended first to hydrate prior to fatliquor replenishing with Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0.

Pictures #4 & #5 surface conditioning the recommended to use Protection-D+; to rectify surface scuffs, impart a draggy-feel with a classic leather scent and retains its original breathing characteristic also know as transpiration.

Leather from Wild Boar, Peccary or Pig would be the same and in this case it is probably vegetable-tanned rather than chrome-tanned.

This leather is also naked with no surfaces finishes, just like other vachetta leathers found commonly in Louis Vuitton or Coach Bags.

Vachetta leathers or vegetable-tanned leathers derive it color from the tannin agent itself.

It is more pH sensitive than chrome tanned leathers, and will rings even with just plain water at pH 7.

Therefore all products used for cleaning has to be leather safe within the pH range of 3 and 5.

It is also more fatliquor thirsty than chrome-tanned leathers.

So my recommendation is used the products range for Vachetta Leathers Care.

And the one most popular for such care is Kit V3.tn

Leather Doctor® Kit V3.tn : Vachetta Leather Tannin Removal Kit

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-23-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Thread Information