Roger,
I ran across a post from you on treating a 40 yr old zebra skin with your products. I have a similar situation with a zebra skin that is over 40 yrs old. It has wear in places but I am concerned with areas that have cracked and split. The skin has a vinyl backing sewn on it and is still somewhat pliable but if folded for any length of time or folded with any force the skin will split or crack at that fold. I have been told that there isn't too much I can do once it’s dried by a taxidermist but he suggested consulting a furrier. My question is can a hide that has been tanned and is this old and is on the dry side be brought back to where it won’t crack when folded using your hydrator and fatliquor? It would be a lot of work removing the backing to get to the hide but would it be worth it if your products can restore the hide and keep it from drying out even further and becoming more brittle? I believe repairs to the skin could be made if it was softened but at the stage it is now, it may not be possible.
Thank you for any help you can be.