Thread: How to restore the color of this 1950 Vintage Chanel Lambskin Handbag?

Default How to restore the color of this 1950 Vintage Chanel Lambskin Handbag?

I am interested in recoloring my vintage Chanel lambskin handbag. I was wondering which kit and how much it would that would best fit my current goal for my handbag. It is from the 1950s so the color has faded to a dark dark brown/black in certain areas and would like to re-store this color. I have had this bag cleaned and polished. I have also attached some pictures to hopefully help choose the most appropriate solution. Thank you for your time!

Picture #1
    In regards to its age, it still looks good with no visible wear to the edges.

Picture #2
    There is difference in appearance of the handle from that of the body – typical worn with color loss – looks like there is no grease issue.

Picture #3
    The side shows uneven stress or tension to the panel – where topcoat abrasion is – shows loss of color

Re-coloring:
    Re-coloring or re-dyeing will be done with Aniline Dye-21. This is a water based dyestuff and can be applied by airbrushing, varnish or foam brush, or simply lint-free rag. It may have a typical bronzing effect until application of Topcoat-79G to return to the original black color.

Which Kit?
    What you need is a restorative cleaning to remove foreign contamination both surface and penetrated as the first phase. The structure or the thickness of the leather would require the original fatliquor to be replenished. This is done with hydrating prior to fatliquoring. The leather protection would be used after the Topcoat-79G – thus Kit A3 is the recommended kit.

Add-on to the Kit A3
    If there are penetrated grease stains – you may want to add Degreaser-2.2.
    Leather Eraser-4 is recommended to scrub during the restorative cleaning and to erase wick-up soiling particulates when crispy dry, especially prior to dye application.
    Adhesor-73 as an auxiliary to the Aniline Dye-21 to coat over existing topcoat (Aniline Dye-21 only stains the leather crust – not the existing topcoat if it is still presence, unless with added Adhesor-73).
    Aniline Dye-21 in black
    Aniline Topcoat-79G in gloss
    Sandpaper in 1000/1500grit to remove deteriorated topcoat prior to re-dyeing.

Here’s the Kit A3

Leather Doctor® Kit A3 : Aniline Leather Standard Care Kit

Instructions for the entire system will follow…

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information