Thread: 2012 King Ranch leather – soup stain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2012 King Ranch leather – soup stain

Roger, i have read and re-read almost every thread concerning a leather stain from spills and would like you input and the iteams I would need to purchase in order to get this stain out.

I believe that this leather is semi-aniline with a protective top coat but I could be wrong. My older King Ranch leather 2005-2007) seats had a different type letter, I beleive it was full aniline with no protection.

I had cold chicken consomme (a clear seasoned soup) in my book bag and the container opened up spilt about 20 oz . The leather absorbed the soup and has stained the leather. The soup smell is in the seat (but not a strong smell). I have tried numerous things to get the stain out but every one of them seems to have made it worse or keeps it the same. The last thing I tried was resoaking it with bottled water and the ring now has become larger. I really want to remove the entire stain but if I can the romoval of ring stain would be my second choice. I do not believe that I can tackle this from the bottom, it is a large job to remove the leather cover from the seat. thank you

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...er_media_share

A leather finish absorbency test is necessary to determine the best approach of removing the stains and the rings.

1 Place a piece of wet tissue paper the size of a dime across the ring line and determine how long it penetrates the leather finish – showing a darkening effect.

2 Show some pictures of your testing.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    A leather finish absorbency test is necessary to determine the best approach of removing the stains and the rings.

1 Place a piece of wet tissue paper the size of a dime across the ring line and determine how long it penetrates the leather finish – showing a darkening effect.

2 Show some pictures of your testing.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    So let me know if this is correct. Take a wet tissue paper, place it on the leather stain ring and then take a picture of the darken ring?

I placed multiple wet paper towels on the stain and stain ring and left them there for a good 4 minutes and once removed from the seat, I wiped off the excess water and no dark ring(s) were left except for on the perforation. The small holes had dark edges and that's all. So what does this mean? There is indeed a top coat and before trying to remove the stain, i'd need to sand off the top coat? This is all new to me but I will purchase and do anything needed to take care of this (even trying to dye it)

Theoretically speaking if moisture can get into the leather structure through the coating – the stain can get out.

This would be ideal, not to damage the finish coating.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

You may like to try with Hydrator-3.3 with a longer dwell time maybe up to 4 hours or even overnight. If the test is successful - you would have a great chance of removing the stains will no ill effect to the finish.

Thread Information