Thread: Zebra Skin Rug - How to soften up an African Zebra Skin Rug I just bought…sounds like walking on paper…doesn’t/t lie flat…too hard and crisp!

Default Zebra Skin Rug - How to soften up an African Zebra Skin Rug I just bought…sounds like walking on paper…doesn’t/t lie flat…too hard and crisp!

I just bought an African Zebra Skin Rug, the problem is that when I walk on it, it sounds sort of like you are walking on paper, doesn’t lie flat. The skin is too hard and crisp, should be softer and lay flat.

I find out that you recommend using: the Hydrator-3.3 and the Fatliquor-5.0. Where can I buy those products? I'm located in Australia, please let me know.

Hi Roger
    Could you please walk through the softening process of my zebra skin and advise which product should I purchase?

Products for the softening process are Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0. Check email for the prices. The first stage is for the skin to be hydrated free of fold lines, creases and wrinkles. Thereafter fatliquoring follows while the skin is still damp.

Recommended sequences of process:

1] A large plastic sheet is to go below the skin and over the entire top, with the suede side facing upwards.

2] The entire suede side is then spray evenly damp and work out with a plastic card in a scudding motion to smoothen out the fold lines, creases and wrinkles – the optimum level is a oozing of moisture when the skin is squeeze between thumb and fingers.

3] Cover up the extended plastic sheet and let it dwell overnight.

4] Inspect the next day and continue working out the creases and wrinkles with additional hydrator until they are gone, otherwise let it dwell another day.

5] Anytime when the creases and wrinkles are gone, it’s time to apply the fatliquor in the similar fashion and allow natural drying; additional application is recommended while the water evaporates.

6] When completely dry flat the rug is ready to be put in used.

Optional
    1] Picture #3 shows 2 stitching repairs can be replace with bonding repair with Leather Bond-3D.
    2] Hair side can be dry clean and condition sheen the hair with Hair n Fur-S.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information