Thread: I have a bad belt dye stain on my Audi seat; another product made it worse; can I still save my leather?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I have a bad belt dye stain on my Audi seat; another product made it worse; can I still save my leather?

Hi Roger,

I see you've been on Autopia but now I see your e-mail and figured this is the best way to contact you.

I came across your products too late

I have a bad belt dye stain on my Audi seat. As you can see from the photos, another product made it worse. Can I still save my leather? I saw David's write up from last summer but I think this is more severe. If you can help me out, let me know. It looks like your online store is closed.

Thanks, B…

Thanks for your reply Roger.

I need an evaluation before knowing what to get.

Here're the photos of the seats…

You can see how Leather Master made the stain worse.

Please let me know if you can see everything. I've looked closely and the coating of the leather surface looks intact, it's just stained from the black belt and the stain has darkened and expanded.

See again carefully, picture #3 looks more like the finishes is completely removed…do you think so?

I'm looking at the finish now. I'm not familar with what a removed finish would look like The texture and feel is the same but the spot is black. If the black can't be removed i will need a dye.

Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-29-2011 at 06:51 PM.

To confirm that the finished is removed; do a testing with distilled / tap water on a dampen cotton-pad / tissue-paper; place on both the mentioned spot and one on the surrounding area; cling wrapped it to hold onto this verticle panel for 5 - 15 minutes.

This test will show the difference in absorbency between the two test spots. Please let us know your findings and we can go from there how best it’s to be restored.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Hi Roger. Thanks for posting this. I can reply on the forum here now.

I conducted the test with the tissue paper and the water. Both samples of wetted paper look the same. One isn’t drier than the other, nor has the amount of wetness reduced on one compared to the other.The dark spot we see in the photo and another uneffected spot feel the same after waiting 15 minutes. One isn’t wetter than the other. I assume that means they still both absorb water equally and if so, the dark spot still has the coating intact?

If this is so, I’m wondering if the Leather Master product spread and amplified the belt stain and hopefully, it can still be removed? If that’s wishful thinking, what products would I need to redye?

This test you have just done is not positive to determine the lost of the leather finish.

Try another test; this time uses a black or dark material absorbent towel/cloth that does not bleed with the product as seen in picture #2. Rub the damp towel/cloth at the edge of the dark mark and see if you can see the finish transfer to the towel/cloth.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    Rub the damp towel/cloth at the edge of the dark mark and see if you can see the finish transfer to the towel/cloth.
    Do you mean if I use a dark colored towel and the Leather Master product, I should see the platinum color of the leather transfer over and be visisible on the cloth?

When I originally applied the Leather Master to attempt to remove the stain, I used a white cloth and I did see dark-colored transfer. I thought this was the stain lifting but then you see the results. Perhaps that was the stain and platinum color of the leather already lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Do you mean if I use a dark colored towel and the Leather Master product, I should see the platinum color of the leather transfer over and be visisible on the cloth?

Yes!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information