Thread: Aniline Wax Pull-up - How to Create the waxy/shiny look for chesterfield style Aniline Wax Pull-up Effect Restoration Hardware sofa and chair

Default Aniline Wax Pull-up - How to Create the waxy/shiny look for chesterfield style Aniline Wax Pull-up Effect Restoration Hardware sofa and chair

Hi there. I have a chesterfield style sofa and chair that was purchased from Restoration Hardware about a year ago. The leather style is "Tobacco". I'm not sure on the exact type of leather. Based on what I have read here, I would guess aniline wax or oil.

We purchased the furniture before building a new house, and due to delays in the construction of the house, the furniture was stored in a warehouse for several months before arriving.

When it did arrive it had a tackiness that was more intense in some spots than others. Also, the leather seemed to be unusually dry. I called their customer service and they recommended I try a leather conditioner. After doing some research, I purchased a bottle of Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner.

I gently cleaned all surfaces with the cleaner. This seemed to remove much of the tackiness. Then I generously applied the conditioner and massaged it in using my hands. I may have been too generous, because when I was finished and the conditioner had set in, the leather seemed too buttery and soft. This is particularly true on the seat cushions as they don't have the buttons that hold the leather taught. It almost feels like you could stretch the leather with your hands. It feels loose, and I wonder if it has, in fact, become stretched.

I see this same style of furniture in movies and magazines, usually in club settings around fireplaces, pool tables, etc. They always appear to be shiny and rich looking. Also, I recently attended a house party where the host had a similar chair, and after sitting in it, I found the leather was much stiffer than mine. Like it was impregnated with wax.

I have attached some photos for your convinience. I really love this furniture and just want it to be more rich and luxurious.

Let me know if I need to do any tests to help you determine the type of leather.

Thanks,

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I would guess aniline wax or oil…
    From pictures it looks like its Aniline Wax Pull-up type; you may send me higher resolution picture to help you post for positive identification.

Tackiness in some spots more intense than others…
    This is most likely due to alkalinity over exposure; especially when alkalinity products were used without neutralizing it to the pH neutral of leather between 3 and 5. During storage moisture may be attracted by these spots more than others and reactivate the working of the residue that produce this pH phenomenal in stickiness. To rectify it to a healthy squeaky feel requires the work of a Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0).

Also, the leather seemed to be unusually dry.
    This dryness is due to the diminishing of the original fatliquor. The fatliquor in the leather structure is the lifeblood of leather, when new from tannery would have an average of 14%. This moisture content imparts softness, suppleness and strength to the leather. However it evaporates as VOC (volatile organic compound) sooner or later depending on the environment. To rectify this problem would require to be rejuvenated with Hydrator-3.3 (pH 3.3) follows with Fatliquor-5.0 (pH 5.0). Besides the primary rejuvenator, the wax effect requires the secondary rejuvenator using Wax Effect-8.6 to restore the structure pull-up effect and the surface covered with white powdery wax crystal when dry after 4 hours to be activated by heat to create its natural waxy luster characteristic.

Then I generously applied the conditioner and massaged it in using my hands. I may have been too generous, because when I was finished and the conditioner had set in, the leather seemed too buttery and soft. This is particularly true on the seat cushions as they don't have the buttons that hold the leather taught. It almost feels like you could stretch the leather with your hands. It feels loose, and I wonder if it has, in fact, become stretched.
    The conditioner used may contain oils that have dissolved the secondary wax effect; that deviated from the original characteristic. You may test out other areas with a leather-safe system for comparison: Acidifier-2.0 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Wax Effect-8.6 > Leather Scent-D.

Like it was impregnated with wax.
    Wax Effect-8.6 restores this wax pull-up characteristic, besides it will restore all those fingernail scratches too; always returning to a darkening shade for it to becomes alive again, once it is been sat on but rarely the same texture shade – just like the scenery of the moving clouds - that’s why it’s so popular with designer…

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Leather Doctor® Aniline Wax Pull-Up Leather Care Kit-AW3

Contents:
    Degreaser-2.2 – 60ml
    Prep-4.4 – 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 – 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 – 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 – 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 – 250ml
    Wax Effect-8.6 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-D – 120ml
    Leather (horsehair) Brush-1 – 1pc
    3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
    Washable Rags – 5pcs

Email [email protected] for prices.

Aniline Wax Pull-Up Leather Problem Solving Guide-AW9
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-20-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Hi Roger,

Attached are some better photos. I couldn't reply to the thread. You may want to check your vB settings to allow new members to reply.

My biggest concern is that the leather seems too hydrated now. Particularly the cushions, like they are buttery and almost stretchy. I want them to be more taught/hard and shiny.

Also, I like the look of the crack and creases in the leather. Fingernail scratches seem to disappear rather quickly.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Picture #1
    It looks too dry due to the unnatural creases that distorted the chesterfield design – looses it form and shape from being smart-looking.

Picture #2
    I believe this is the looseness that has been caused by the incompatible conditioner used – penetrated OIL conditioner dissolves the infused WAX – to revert back is to remove the conditioner that caused it to loosen up and re-infused with Wax Effect-8.6.

Picture #3
    This reverse suede side is aniline dyed through; the dormant dyestuff can be reactivated with Hydrator-3.3 when the surface dyes fades eventually.

Picture #4
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder…
    Moreover with this fashion wax effect what you see may be temporal – just like the passing scenery of the moving clouds it can change instantly with the wrong products negatively or the changing scenery of the four seasons to feast the eye. But bear in mind that look may also reveal the health of the leather. Besides, the look; other sensuous charm of leather that are equally captivating are the hand of suppleness, the waxy tactile-feel, the unforgettable classical leather scent. And of course it has to withstand the abuse to be sat on with integrity. That’s tough to be leather more than any other upholstery material – they call it luxury!

My biggest concern is that the leather seems too hydrated now. Particularly the cushions, like they are buttery and almost stretchy.
    What’s done incorrect easily may be difficult to have it undone – in leather it’s like think thrice and do it once. The correction is to have the incompatible conditioner that may contain oils that dissolve the infused wax removed. The option may be by heat that causes the oil to evaporate and that might take many hours to empty the oil. Other products may disturb the other leather constituents like the tanning agent, dyestuff and the original fatliquor. Thereafter it may take this sequence of process to restore the structure: Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Wax Effect-8.6.

I want them to be more taught/hard and shiny.
    Taut – Oil that dissolves the wax need to be removed.
    Hard – Wax removed has to be re-infused to install body to the leather structure.
    Shiny – Restorative shine is done with Aniline Topcoat-79G (gloss) application; maintenance shine is done with Wax Effect-8.6 application, after a minimum of 4 hours drying time natural waxy crystal will form on the surface to be activate with heat blower into a natural waxy luster.

I like the look of the crack and creases in the leather. Fingernail scratches seem to disappear rather quickly.
    The Wax Effect-8.6 is the product that produces this characteristically wax crinkle effect. With its emulsion wax solid it periodically heals scratches easily as describe above. Leather Scent-D gives the characteristically surface tactile-feel and is used on a routine basis to match this wax pull-up leather type.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Hi Roger. Sorry for taking so long to get back.

I suspect that the biggest issue, based on what you've written, is that I've used an oil based conditioner on a wax effect leather. You indicate that the fix for this is to heat the leather until the oil based conditioner is out, and then restore the wax effect. Interestingly, my instinct was to use heat to try and resolve the situation.

Several months ago I took the cover off of the chair cushion, turned it inside out, and put it in my dryer on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. I have good quality gas dryer, by the way.

It seemed to tighten it up a bit, i.e. it lost a bit of the buttery feel, but not enough to make much of a difference.

Since the issue is mostly with the cushions, do you think the dryer method would work as a first step prior to applying your treatment?

Also, can you send me pricing information on your products?

Thanks,

Brad

Turning it inside out is a good idea, but tumbling it may not be a good idea as it is still a form of stretching.

Heat lamp or sunlight may be slow, but still effective; however have to be caution over prolong exposure to UV light.

The fastest may be used with iron over paper direct on the surface. This visual technique allows better control over heat level and hand movement, with caution of not over shrinking it.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thanks Roger. I will try using an iron over paper to get the oil based conditioner out and then proceed with the treatment that you list above.

You sent me a Paypal invoice, is that for the AW3 package? Is that everything I will need to do the restoration?

Thanks,

Brad

For a restorative shine you need these two products on top of the Wax Effect-8.6.

Leather Dyeing & Coloring Auxiliary (3)

Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73
    It’s an auxiliary for Pigmented and Aniline leathers refinishing.
    This is an aqueous compact resin adhesion promoter to ensure proper adhesion prior to color coating.
    It’s also used after WaxEffect8.6 prior to top coating.
    Instruction:
    1] Shake well, hand padding preferred to ensure better anchorage for non-absorbent leathers.
    2] Fine airbrushing for absorbent leathers to reduce patchiness.
    3] Let dry naturally or speed dry with blow dryer.
    4] Proceed with choice of further coating.

Aniline Leather Dyeing System (12)

Leather Doctor® Topcoat Aniline-79G
    It’s a gloss finish for upholstery Aniline leathers.
    This is an aqueous fine particular size urethane resin emulsion topcoat.
    It’s to protect aniline dyestuff with excellent toughness and flexibility.
    Instruction:
    1] Apply after Aniline Dye-21; otherwise prep clean - use Prep-4.4 follows with Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
    2] Pad or fine spray without streaks or drips.
    3] Non-Stick, Rub-Resistance protection with a classic leather scent - use leather Scent-B (buttery-feel).

Thread Information