I have a dark brown Danier leather jacket that I've been told is "oiled nubuck".

It has a stand-up collar that has developed a ring around it, I assume from the oils in my hair. I've asked around and done some research regarding how to remove it. I've tried using a nubuck brush as well as a block, and also tried the trick of trying to soak the oils out using talcum powder. None of these tricks has worked. I have heard to try a "nubuck degreaser", but I cannot find that sort of product anywhere.

I've been to a couple of places that do leather repair, and they all look at it and tell me that I could have it professionally cleaned, but if I was not diligent about using a scarf or something like that, the ring will quickly return.

Apparently leathers that have a "smooth" finish are better candidates for using a protective spray on barrier/sealant, and an "open" finish like this nubuck will always be much worse for absorbing the oil ? (sorry for using the wrong terms here)

I did apply the protective spray after I bought it new, and while it seems to work great for repelling rain, it does nothing for the ring on the collar. I have a black leather jacket with the smooth finish, and the spray worked for it (or I can't see it as easily because it's black)

Am I fighting a losing battle here, or is there some sealant I can use to stop this from re-occurring on nubuck? (this is assuming I can remove the stain in the first place using one of the cleaning kits mentioned on this website.)

The jacket was only $99 in the first place, so the idea of spending a small fortune on repeated cleanings is not appealing.

Thanks in advance for any help.