Thread: Ring around collar - nubuck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ring around collar - nubuck

I have a dark brown Danier leather jacket that I've been told is "oiled nubuck".

It has a stand-up collar that has developed a ring around it, I assume from the oils in my hair. I've asked around and done some research regarding how to remove it. I've tried using a nubuck brush as well as a block, and also tried the trick of trying to soak the oils out using talcum powder. None of these tricks has worked. I have heard to try a "nubuck degreaser", but I cannot find that sort of product anywhere.

I've been to a couple of places that do leather repair, and they all look at it and tell me that I could have it professionally cleaned, but if I was not diligent about using a scarf or something like that, the ring will quickly return.

Apparently leathers that have a "smooth" finish are better candidates for using a protective spray on barrier/sealant, and an "open" finish like this nubuck will always be much worse for absorbing the oil ? (sorry for using the wrong terms here)

I did apply the protective spray after I bought it new, and while it seems to work great for repelling rain, it does nothing for the ring on the collar. I have a black leather jacket with the smooth finish, and the spray worked for it (or I can't see it as easily because it's black)

Am I fighting a losing battle here, or is there some sealant I can use to stop this from re-occurring on nubuck? (this is assuming I can remove the stain in the first place using one of the cleaning kits mentioned on this website.)

The jacket was only $99 in the first place, so the idea of spending a small fortune on repeated cleanings is not appealing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Based on this Nubuck Problem Solving Guide for Penetrated Oil or Grease you need Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0.

Optional extra is the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 for leather rejuvenation.

Non-Stick Rub-Resistant is using Leather Scent-S.

Default How to degrease collar stains!

(this is assuming I can remove the stain in the first place using one of the cleaning kits mentioned on this website.)

Yes the grease can be easily removed as shown in these pictures...

#1. Grease collar

#2. Degrease with Degreaser-2.2

#3. Towel Extraction

#4. Rinse with Rinse-3.0 and extract until towel shows clean.

#5. Brush off wick up soiling particulates when it's crispy dry.

#6. Result of Degreasing with the “leather-safe” system

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 10-26-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Where can I get a bottle of the degreaser, and how much is it ?

Products interested are found in this kit, individual products available too; however Degreaser-2.2 works in conjunction with Rinse-3.0 in the grease remover system with the help of appropriate brush to brush-off wick-up soiling particulates when crispy dry.

Since its an Oil-Nubuck, Oil Effect-2.8 is recommended after Fatliquor-5.0 for the effect rejuvenation.

Email me for the prices, please!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

#1. Nubuck Leather Care Kit N250.pde

Contents:
    Prep-4.4 - 60ml
    Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-S - 120ml
    Leather Eraser-4 - 1pc
    Nubuck Eraser-5 - 1pc
    Nubuck Brush-2 - 1pc
    3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
    Washable Rags - 6pcs

Oil Effect-2.8 is recommended for Oil Pull-Up Nubuck and is found in this kit...

#1. Nubuck Oil Pull-Up Leather Care Kit NO250.pde

Leather Doctor® Oil Effect-2.8
    It’s for Aniline and Nubuck oil pull-up leather types.
    This is a pH 2.8 emulsion blend, oil effect leather rejuvenator.
    It’s to rejuvenate diminishing oil pull-up effect lost through usage, ageing or cleaning

Thread Information