Thread: How do I Re-Color this Bright Red Nubuck Clog?

Default How do I Re-Color this Bright Red Nubuck Clog?

Hello!
    I just bought a pair of clogs that are bright red and I would like to color them something more subdued, either black or brown would be fine with me. I am pretty sure they are nubuck. They are soft leather with no nap. How can I tell if it is nubuck? What could I use to color them? Do you have any thoughts about whether brown or black would be best?

Here are a few pics I just took. To me it is impossible to tell the type of material from the pics but you might be able to tell more. I don't have a brush to use on the nubuck but it definitely is smoother than suede and has a different feel from different directions. As you can see from the pics the color is RED!

M…

Yes, it’s Nubuck by its dull appearance (the reverse side is suede).

Nubuck is aniline leather that has its finish buff to have a “finger writing effect”; therefore it’s a “nap” leather rather than a “smooth” leather.

For coloring them, the option would be either using a “transparent” dye that penetrates or a “translucent” color that both penetrates and coats.

When using a transparent black it will blend with the existing red; thus the end result would be a reddish brown.

When using a translucent black it will half coats the existing red; thus ends up more to the black with a tint of red to dark reddish brown.

Another consideration is the wooden area; recommended to be stain as well; therefore I would go with the “transparent” dye.

We shall go into further details how to accomplish this project when you have the necessary products at hand.

This guide will further be helpful for the care of Nubuck!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

I guess I would be ok with a reddish-brown color.

What would a brown stain do?

I would like to keep the base natural and would at least attempt to do so by taping it off carefully.

Brown is a secondary color; a mixed of maroon and black; so the final result will be more red if transparent dye (Nubuck Dye-23) is used; while translucent color (Nubuck Color-28) will result in more brown due to 50% opacity.

There is also a Red Brown and a Dark Brown to choose from...

These are the standard Dye for Nubuck Dye-21 (transparent):
    Black 215
    Clear 277
    Orange 257
    Red 280
    Red Brown 259
    Yellow 228
    Dark Brown 224
    Rubine 213
    Blue 219

These are standard color for Nubuck Color-28 (translucent):
    Black 815
    Clear 877
    Orange 857
    Red 880
    Red Brown 859
    Yellow 828
    Dark Brown 824
    Rubine 813
    Blue 819

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

I guess I will go with the black translucent and try for the darkest color I can get.

Although Nubuck Color-84 (black) and Color Fix-99 will make a color change to your satisfaction; we have to take the preparation stage into consideration.

That is the dry soil removal and the Leather Eraser-4 is recommended.

Wet preparation is recommended to check for surface tension using Hydrator-3.3; to ensure an even appearance prior to color application.

Note that the left clog has a spot / stain that may repel the water-based color leaving the spots lighter than the surrounding areas.

After completion of the color fixing; you might like to renap the nubuck for a “finger writing effect” with nubuck Brush-2.

You may like to have a non-stick protection with a silky-feel to the finish with Leather Scent-S.

So here is the list of products mentioned above as a system; you may like to consider as a holistic approach to your color change!

Nubuck Color-84 (translucent black)
    Color Fix-99
    Leather Eraser-4
    Hydrator-3.3
    Leather Scent-S (non-stick, silky-feel protector)
    Nubuck Brush-2

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information