Thread: First Post and My Project Details of a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe with the Black Novillo Leather!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You still going to try and get the seats to take the Fatliquor? Or did I loose this somewhere in the steps and I got lost

Default Progress Update

Guys,

I hope you are enjoying the weekend. I apologize for not updating the thread as we have had a snow storm and it hasn't been pleasant working in an unheated garage

1) Steering Wheel

I am unhappy to report that I've possibly done a bit of damage to the steering wheel. The right side was completely clean, but I was struggling to remove some of the prep 7.7 residue from the left side of the wheel. I spent about half hour today morning scrubbing the spot with the cleaner and the rinse using a combination of the horsehair brush, foam brush, and the leather eraser. Unfortunately, I scrubbed one portion of the wheel a bit too hard and it looks like the leather in that spot is ruined . It looks like the scrubbing has resulted in a little bit of bubbling in the leather, where the top surface looks like it has loosened up from the steering wheel. I guess it serves me right for overdoing it I will try to get some pictures, but this is the other frustrating part. The light is terrible in my garage and the outside is just too cold to work comfortably.

2) Driver's Seat

As of today, the driver's seat was soaking in the prep 7.7 for almost a week. The change wasn't really very dramatic, but I did notice a cleaner looking surface. I quickly did a couple coats of cleaner and rinse and called it a day on account of the weather. The steering wheel fiasco didn't help to motivate either . I think the cold is playing a big part in making this process difficult. I will re-visit the seat tomorrow for the hydration step. I will follow Roger's method of using the toilet paper and the shrink wrap to ensure maximum penetration.

I don't think the products work their best in the cold weather. For example, it is really difficult to wipe the products off the surface on account of them hardening a bit due to the temperature. Inadvertently, I ended up scrubbing the steering wheel too hard which resulted in the bubbling. On the bright side, I think the wheel is completely clean though

3) Gloves

I think my leather driving gloves are the biggest success story. After 2 days each of soaking in the hydrator and fatliquor, I soaked them for 2 days in the Scent B. Now they smell and feel great! I will get some pictures of them as well.

Roger - Any words of advice for the steering wheel will help if you have some idea of what the damage might be.

Pictures to come....

Don't attempt to do any cleaning if the temperature is below 5 degrees C - we talk about earlier regarding the cool, warm and the hot temperature working range.

Over scrubbing the steering wheel? - Not a problem if you have the Topcoat Micro-72S.

Need to see good quality pictures - to guide you through - like a bridge over trouble water!

Maybe, let it be...until spring sun breaks it free!

Cheers!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    Don't attempt to do any cleaning if the temperature is below 5 degrees C - we talk about earlier regarding the cool, warm and the hot temperature working range.

Over scrubbing the steering wheel? - Not a problem if you have the Topcoat Micro-72S.

Need to see good quality pictures - to guide you through - like a bridge over trouble water!

Maybe, let it be...until spring sun breaks it free!

Cheers!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Thanks a lot for the support Roger! I did put on a layer of topcoat on the steering wheel today. I will really make it a priority to have some top quality pictures posted tomorrow.

Any lumps you can feel with your finger tips can be work-out with fine 1500 sanding grit to a smooth touch in between coats with a simple hair dryer.

Do not over-do it - let's see some pictures if you need to go this route.

Since you have done it...do you like the level of sheen?

The steering wheel and seat look great Roger. I had my friend take some top quality shots and I think he will be posting them on here soon. I've decided to take your advice and wait till fairer weather to continue with the rest of the process. In the meantime, my friend who took the pictures will be starting up a restoration on his BMW (I lent him my products). He is thinking about starting his own detailing company. He should post an introduction soon.

Yes, your friend did email me and this is what he wrote:

“I'm amazed at these products' results on my car...and I had thought my leather was in perfect shape! Ha-ha.”

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information