Thread: Bicast: Dispute Over Leather Rot on a Bicast Leather

Default Bicast: Dispute Over Leather Rot on a Bicast Leather

Hi,

I spoke to Roger on the phone a couple of weeks ago and he advised me to post my situation here. We purchased a leather sectional approximately 2.5 years ago from The Bay. A while ago we noticed that there was a tear in the seat cushion. We weren't sure how it got there. We had purchased extra warranty protection so we called the warranty company. They sent over a technician who looked at it and told us the leather was "weak" in that area, which is why it split.

When the warranty company contacted us however; they claimed the technician said the leather was "rotten". We disputed this but they denied our dispute. We still believe very firmly that this leather is not rotten.

After speaking with Roger on the phone and explaining the situation, he did not suspect leather rot and gave a detailed answer as to why it was probably not the case.

I have attached pictures, as Roger requested, so he could have a better look.

Thank you so much for your help, Roger!

Sincerely,
    Corinne and Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Please note in the third picture there's an indentation in the leather in the top right area of the seat cushion. This is similar to how the tear started.

Default Re: How to Repair a Bicast Leather Vein Split

Re: How to Repair a Bicast Leather Vein Split

This leather type from picture is recognized as Bicast also known as Bycast or PU leather.

It is produced by a thick polyurethane layer laminated onto split leather (pictures of fibers shown in this case) through a Bicast Polyurethane Transfer Finishing System.

Split is created when the thickness of the leather is split into layers.

A split is without the grain (hair side); both sides are suede (fuzzy).

It can be split further into a middle split and a flesh split if thickness allow.

Generally grain split or the first split from the grain is stronger than subsequent splits.

The tensile strength (express in psi) is reduced by weakness in the split especially from veins and arteries.

Occasionally the split may hit across these void (veins are weaker than arteries) that result in weakness of the split.

When pressure (body weight) is put on these weak areas the leather split (vertically) just like pictures shown.

Leather upholstery is designed for one basic purpose – to be sat on!

However, jurisdictions in New Zealand and the United Kingdom have ruled that Bicast leather cannot be marketed as leather.

There are no sign of contamination (rotting) on the polyurethane surface.

Neither are there sign of contamination (rotting) on the split fibers.

How a Vein Split is repaired.
    Picture #1 shows a vein split.
    Picture #2 shows the close-up of the split.
    Picture #3 shows applying the leatherBond3D™ onto the split for bonding (cold cure).
    Picture #4 shows an aluminum mesh as a sub-patch to reduce stretch from body weight.
    Picture #5 shows spreading the leatherBond3D™ through the aluminum mesh.
    Picture #6 shows fast dry with air blower.
    Picture #7 shows the finished reinforcement in place for added strength to be sat on without further split.

leatherBond3D™ fused and becomes part of the leather.

The polyurethane surface (Picture #3) is further sealed with pigTop56G™ (polyurethane gloss top coat) cross linked with crossLinker25™ for added strength.

Further questions are welcome!

Roger Koh
    IICRC #942
    Leather Cleaning Technician

Additional pictures

Hi Roger,

My husband spoke to you a little while ago. We're wondering if you could give us a quote on how much it would be to fix the tear, based on the pictures. Please reply if you need more pics. We would bring the couch to you instead of you having to travel to us.

Thanks,
    Corinne

I appreciate your confidence in our professional leather services.

There is an option for you to purchase these products and do it yourself.

Or someone is willing to do for you at a reduced hourly rate.

My hourly rate is $299 at your place for the first hour, and subsequence hour is $99 thereafter.

Otherwise deliver it to my place for $99 per hourly rate.

Roger Koh
    IICRC Certified #942
    Leather Cleaning Technician

Thank you for your quick response, Roger. Could you estimate how long it would take you to fix this tear? Unfortunately the cushions are not removeable.

Thanks,
    Corinne and Jason

It depends on accessibility to the repair as the repair itself has to be done from the reverse side as the above pictures show.

And the numbers of tears, as I can see is more than one.

Roger Koh
    604 468 2340
    [email protected]

Hi again,

There is only 1 tear approximately 3 inches long, but on the same panel of leather I can see potentially another place where a tear could start, so we'd like to reinforce that part too.

If we bring the sofa to you, could you give us an estimate? We'd rather have a professional do the repair, but if it's too expensive we'll have to try to fix it ourselves.

Thanks again for all your help and advice!

-Corinne and Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Corinne_and_Jason View Post

If we bring the sofa to you, could you give us an estimate?
    It seems that this is a better alternative!

So call before you come.

Roger Koh
    604 468 2340
    [email protected]

Thread Information