Thread: Yellowed/Oxidized White Aniline Leather - What to do?

Default Yellowed/Oxidized White Aniline Leather - What to do?

Hi Roger,

After I've placed an order for the Aniline Starter Kit I found this lovely gem on eBay. Would the d'Yellow do the magic of restoring it to its original white color? Should I also apply a glossy top coat after restoration?

Does the d'Yellow work for restoring yellowed/oxidized white back to white? I don't have better pictures to post until the bag arrives, but that's essentially what it is - white aniline bag oxidized to yellow. After restoration, would a fresh layer of Top Coat 73G be needed?

Thanks!

D.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for the post.

Here is the tips for posting pictures:

http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...read.php?t=148

Do you have other pictures to have a better view?

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

d’Yellow, it’s to remove yellow stains associated with prolonged hydrolyzed and oxidized oil or grease stains after a restoration cleaning with Prep-7.7 or 4.4 follows with Cleaner-3.8 and Rinse-3.0.

It is a fluorescent whitening agent that changes the wave length of light making it appears bluish than yellowish.

White Aniline Bag? Technically impossible! There is no white color in the aniline color range!

More likely it’s a micro-pigmented leather where the coverage was not adequate that makes the leather structure shows through.

To solve this problem would require the leather to be refinished with Pigment Micro-54 follows with Topcoat Micro-72G (gloss).

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Thanks Roger. Any chance that the yellowing could be caused by oxidation of natural fats in the leather? I was assuming that was the case but I guess breakdown of certain pigments could have caused it too. I will wait til it arrives then upload some more pictures.

Good to wait for pictures to determine the cause of the yellowing; to decide the route of action to take.

Here's the above pictures...

Thread Information