Thread: Aniline Wax Pull-up - Scratched!

Default Aniline Wax Pull-up - Scratched!

A client whose little girl used the waxed aniline chairs in her office as a drawing board. Using her fingernail she etched the surface of the leather. One she drew a picture of a little girl...telling on herself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Little Girl to a Ghost

Cleaning the leather and conditioning along with some warmth made the scratches in the shape of the little girl fade into a ghost of her former self.

Default Bye Bye Ghost

With advise and encouragement from the Leather Doctor I took a leap of faith and attacked the ghost head on. Using remover I cleaned off the oils then sanded the back panel affected with 1500 grit paper. After cleaning again I applied several layers of Aniline waxy finish...with each layer the ghost went farther away. She is still just barely there but, next time I'll be braver and do more sanding before appling finish.
    Signed-leather expert in the Big Sky, Rachelle

Aniline Wax Pull Up leathers have an interesting and delicate waxed paper “crinkle & crackle” effect.

When stretch, pull or scratch it appears lighter.

The lighter tone effect can be reverted with warm fast rub, hot air, scuff repairer, wax-effect replenishing or a draggy/waxy feel conditioner.

It all depends on the degree of surface damage in relation to the level of the fatliquor & wax-effect remains in the leather structure.

So what chemistry affects the color, should be easily refers to the fatliquor, wax-effect and dyes.

The more these combinations in the leather structure the darker will be the color.

The aniline matching top-coat is vital that gives the rich depth and enhances the color too.

Technically speaking all four constituents (fatliquor, wax-effect, dyes & topcoat) has to be there for a corrective surface repair.

Where the surface have been abraded or etched so as the smooth grain is lost need another type of repair.

This is the impregnator, that when applied with a mixed of dyes will heal and smoothen the damage surface grain again.

Sanding sounds frightening to an unskilled hand, it can either be destructive or constructive.

Just like a surgeon that uses a sharp knife to safe live, likewise a butcher uses one to slaughter.

Here using a superfine sandpaper of 1500 grit is to remove excess buildup and not to sand-off the surface grain at all.

It’s primarily as a mechanical leveler for excess product repair buildup.

To be able to do this delicate repair and retains its original characteristic and showing it proudly on a public forum is recognition that you are an expert!

Like to see more of your work “Leather Ghostbusters”

You can do better, I can help!

Roger Koh

Thread Information