Thread: Best cleaner for semi-aniline furniture leather?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best cleaner for semi-aniline furniture leather?

Working mainly with Ekornes furniture, which means semi-aniline leathers 99.9% of the time.

Age typically 10-25 years old, so LOTS of accumulating soiling and off-the-shelf conditioners. Nasty mix. Usually takes an hour to two hours to sufficiently clean a single Ekornes recliner -- which is way too long, in my opinion. Using mainly Colourlock Strong Leather Cleaner and a big horsehair brush. I had a bit of your Leather Doctor Cleaner 3.8 but it was a very small size and it didn't last very long. It seemed to work well.

I've had a few instances of having to clean off hair/head grease that was literally caked onto the headrest area ... took quite a bit of elbow grease with a horsehair brush and both Colourlock and Cleaner 3.8 to clean off a caked-on layer of grease ... just looking for a way to minimize the manual labor of me moving a horsehair brush back/forth and maximize the emulsification/chemical cleaning action of the cleaner.

Looking to purchase more cleaner, but I saw there are many options you have!

• Cleaner 3.8
    • Cleaner 1.5
    • Strong Cleaner 4.3
    • Super Cleaner 4.9

I just want to know, which would be the best/fastest for a semi-aniline furniture leather that's typically 10-25 years old, with lots of accumulating soiling/grease/old conditioners ... I definitely lean toward the "Super Cleaner 4.9" but I'm just afraid of accidentally damaging the leather by going with TOO strong of a cleaner ... I'm typically pretty rough and fast with the horsehair brush and the current cleaner I use ... which hasn't caused much damage except in a few instances where the leather was already weakened.

>>> I just want to know, which would be the best/fastest for a semi-aniline furniture leather that's typically 10-25 years old, with lots of accumulating soiling/grease/old conditioners ...

The best/fastest system would be a combination of sequence with Prep 7.7 > Cleaner 3.8 > Rinse 3.0
    and pH balance with Acidifier 2.0 when the leather surface is tacky or slimy to return to a healthy squeaky feel.

I definitely lean toward the "Super Cleaner 4.9" but I'm just afraid of accidentally damaging the leather by going with TOO strong of a cleaner ... I'm typically pretty rough and fast with the horsehair brush and the current cleaner I use ... which hasn't caused much damage except in a few instances where the leather was already weakened.

There are 2 points to understand when choosing a cleaner that is the pH value and the other is its penetrating, lubricating, and suspending power.

1: pH value of Cleaner for General Soiling Removal:

1.1: Generally, the higher the pH value the greater the cleaning power, pH value above the pH neutral of leather of 3 to 5, needs to be pH balanced with a low pH rinse such as Acidifier 2.0.

1.2: Prep 7.7 with a pH value of 7.7 is used for semi-aniline leathers safely because of the pigmented finishes.

1.3: On finishes damaged surface after the standard cleaning off sticky residue with Cleaner 3.8 and rinse with Rinse 3.0, it is checked for tackiness or sliminess.

1.4: Acidifier 2.0 returns the leather to a healthy squeak.

1.5: Cleaner within the pH value of the leather (3 to 5) is considered leather safe, and does not need to be pH balanced used the first time.

1.6: The surface after rinse is checked for tackiness or sliminess if an unknown cleaner has been used.

1.7: Other leather-safe cleaners include Prep 4.4, Super Cleaner 4.9, Strong Cleaner 4.3, Cleaner 3.8 and Cleaner 1.5,

1.8: Note that the suffix number represents its pH value to represent its leather-safe status.

2: Penetrating, Lubricating, and Suspending power:

2.1: Leather cleaning power derived from its ability to penetrate, lubricate, and suspend accumulated soiling.

2.2: Dwelling time is important allowing the product to work through the soiling without much physical scrubbing.

See this Semi-Aniline Leather Problem problem-solving matrix.

Name:  pigmented-p.sa-semi-aniline-micro-pigmented.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  143.3 KB
    Semi-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    phone: 604 773 1878

Thread Information