Thread: Want to confirm which products to use

Default Want to confirm which products to use

I have this Paloma leather Stressless set that is in need of some touch-ups

Problem 1: headrest area exhibiting crazing. I suppose that this means the clear coat has mostly failed. I suppose the correct course of action would roughly be using the Hydrator, then the Fatliquor to properly hydrate the leather, and then perhaps the Aniline finish restorer.

Name:  chrome_Sf2XR86r2Z.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  44.4 KB

Problem 2: scaly feeling leather on various surfaces (footstools, armrests, etc.) I suppose again that this is a hydration problem, and can be mostly corrected with some Hydrator and Fatliquor.

I have been studying the charts that you've created (very helpful!) and I am curious -- I understand that proper prep is a must before any hydration and fatliquoring ... I usually start with a cleaning using Colourlock Strong Leather Cleaner. Not that I'm particularly loyal to any one product, but mainly because I've found that it really helps in cleaning away embedded grime and I have a lot of it left. Do you have any thoughts on this cleaner? I know it dries out the leather -- the manufacturer states as much -- and should be followed with a moisturization step ...

Finally, what do the numbers in the product mean? My guess is that they refer to the pH of the particular product, i.e. Fatliquor 5.0 means the product has a pH of 5.0? Edit: just read that the numbers do indeed correlate to pH.

Finally, just a random comment, I find it interesting that the concept of (Bronsted-Lowry) pH theory has been applied to leather, which is mostly a solid substance, as when I was studying chemistry, we were taught that B/L acid-base theory and pH was meant to be applied to aqueous solutions, and leather is not exactly an aqueous solution. Still, I can see why we discuss leather in terms of pH, as it's a fairly useful and fairly familiar and fairly simplified proxy for the complex chemistry happening within leather. I suppose there's no need to overcomplicate things by introducing more arcane concepts such as Lewis acid/base theory and electron transfer and instead it's easier to just speak to commonfolk using pH rather than trying to illustrate electron movements and mechanisms.

It seems to me that Lewis theory/coordination chemistry would be more relevant in the leathermaking phase with all the metal complexes and whatever chemicals they're using to tan the leather, and that B/L theory is more relevant in leather maintenance as during maintenance we are almost never using toxic metal complexes and instead almost always spraying or applying some sort of mostly aqueous solution.
    Last edited by Deontologist; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:04 PM.

>>> I have this Paloma leather Stressless set that is in need of some touch-ups Problem 1: headrest area exhibiting crazing. I suppose that this means the clear coat has mostly failed. I suppose the correct course of action would roughly be using the Hydrator, then the Fatliquor to properly hydrate the leather, and then perhaps the Aniline finish restorer. Problem 2: scaly feeling leather on various surfaces (footstools, armrests, etc.) I suppose again that this is a hydration problem, and can be mostly corrected with some Hydrator and Fatliquor.

The scaly feeling and crazing on pigmented leather are related to the topcoat, as it ages this scaly and crazing develops. When ignored these areas will become stiff as any alkaline solution above the pH of water will dries up the leather of its fatliquor (fat and oil). The cracking of the topcoat and color coat will extend to the creaking of the leather crust. The recommended course of action to refinish the failed top coat short of the optional color coat is by refinishing with Leather Color Refinishing Kit SA7.cl

Instruction for color refinishing are found in the link, that includes the following for discussion.

1: Stripping Existing Deteriorating Finishes:
    2: Degreasing:
    3: Hydrating to Remove Suspended Soiling:
    4: Hydrating to Relax before Fatliquoring:
    5: Fatliquoring:
    6: Hydrator to Remove Sticky Residue:
    7: Dry Prep:
    8: Repairs:
    9: Adhesion Promotion Coating:
    10: Color Coating:
    11: Topcoating:
    12: Rub-Resistant Protection: