Thread: Aniline Sofa Surface went Slimy with Wrong Soap Product.

Default Aniline Sofa Surface went Slimy with Wrong Soap Product.

Hello

I wonder if you can help me?

I have an aniline sofa that I tried to clean with the wrong soap product and the surface went slimy so I thought this was dirt and tried to scrape it away while it was wet!

I have totally ruined the surface, is there anything that I can do to save this or have I damaged the surface of the leather too much

Name:  image0 2.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  image1 2.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  image2 2.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  172.5 KB

Name:  image3 2.jpeg
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  image4 2.jpeg
Size:  67.1 KB

When the leather surface becomes slimy after cleaning with the wrong soap, it has denatured.

It is the alkalinity level that is higher than the pH neutral of leather between 3 to 5 that results in the sliminess. To correct this sliminess would need a low pH cleaner like Leather pH Balanced Cleaner 1.5

https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-ph...d-cleaner-1-5/

follows with Leather Acidifier 2.0
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-acidifier-2-0/

This combination of pH balance cleaning and rinsing will revert the leather surface to a squeaky feel.

For Refinishing you will need this Aniline Leather Redyeing Kit A7.cl

Name:  Aniline_Leather_Redyeing_Kit_A7.cl__05190.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  75.7 KB
    https://leatherdoctor.com/aniline-le...ing-kit-a7-cl/

And for Repairs, you will need this Leather Repair Kit A8.r
    Name:  Kit_A8.r__29375.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  98.3 KB
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-repair-kit-a8-r/

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    phone: 604 773 1878

Just out of curiosity, what would the results be if you just returned the normal PH level of the leather in this case, and did not strip and re-dye the leather?
    I know it would be sub-optimal, but if you resurrected the health of the leather, would it be possible to top coat and have the furniture in a usable state long-term, even if it results in the discoloration being sealed?

I'm only asking as I've always liked the look of really worn furniture, but always wondered if there was a way to preserve the history, but continue the utility.

>>> Just out of curiosity, what would the results be if you just returned the normal PH level of the leather in this case, and did not strip and re-dye the leather?

We should look at leather on two levels, one is the leather structure and the other is the finishing.

pH level of the leather refers to the leather structure and the dye coloring and topcoat make up the finishing.

The utility and usefulness of leather depend on the leather structure and the finishing is only the aesthetic aspect.

Leather is a compound protein material that is preserved with leather constituents like the tanning agent preventing it from reverting to rawhide.

Its practical utility characteristically is suppleness or softness with strength which is why it is sought after to make comfortable leather goods.

Leather is an amphoteric or pH-sensitive material which is why when neglected or mistreated it suffers what we see in these pictures.

The pH plays an important role in keeping the leather healthy so that the preservation does not weaken into rawhide and the suppleness is maintained with periodic fatliquoring.

This primary important consideration is always to return the pH level to its pH neutral of 3 to 5, and the result will last for a thousand years.

>>> I know it would be sub-optimal, but if you resurrected the health of the leather, would it be possible to top coat and have the furniture in a usable state long-term, even if it results in the discoloration being sealed?

Once the leather is decontaminated, and resurrected to health it will be in a usable state long-term, repairing the weakened crack structure below the surface with Impregnator 26 will also regain some useful strength to the leather for more practical usage.

Refinishing is only the aesthetic aspect and has nothing to do with usability.

>>> I'm only asking as I've always liked the look of really worn furniture, but always wondered if there was a way to preserve the history, but continue the utility.

Yes, then we are talking about 'conservation' and not 'restoration'.

To a museum curator, conservation without erasing its history has more intrinsic value.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-22-2024 at 10:34 AM.

Thread Information