Thread: Natuzzi Protecta Leather | Deep Cat Scratches | Darkened Creases | Repaint & Topcoat | Color Matching

Default Natuzzi Protecta Leather | Deep Cat Scratches | Darkened Creases | Repaint & Topcoat | Color Matching

Hello Mr. Roger Koh, good day.

Questions about how much product to buy and what colors?

I spoke with you on the phone and you suggested I email some photos, attached, to receive your advice on how much and which products to buy.

My main question was how much dye to buy to fill in these scratches, and if I needed to repaint the whole thing.

It seems to me that the leather is in great condition except for these deep cat scratches (many more than in the photo but all the same), and there is some darkening between the creases on the seats, particularly toward the rear of the seats.

But the seat backs themselves seem pretty excellent, as shown in this last photo.

So I was hoping to use your leather care kit on the whole couch and then just fill in these cat scratches with your dye.

If this is possible, can you tell me how much to purchase? Or do you think I need to repaint and topcoat the whole bottom half?

Also, I am wondering about color matching. Can you tell me which color I should mix to best match this?

This is a Natuzzi Protecta leather I believe. I bought it second-hand.

Any other recommendations are very welcome!

Thank you very much in advance,
    Ángela

Name:  image_50385409.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  image_50364929.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  image_50425601.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  image_16809729.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  102.8 KB

>>> My main question was how much dye to buy to fill in these scratches, and if I needed to repaint the whole thing.

Before filling up these scratches, the leather has to be prep clean to remove all the accumulated soiling and aging conditioners. Hydrated and fat liquored before the filling repairs. Filling repairs is with Leather Stucco 90 and or Leather Glue 3D. Matching colors can be mixed with these products to produce a closed-matching color.

>>> How much dye to buy to fill in these scratches,

Dye or rather a paint or pigment comes in 2oz, 8oz, or quart sizes, you may order the smallest size to test it out accordingly, but the 8 oz size will sure be sufficient to fill these scratches. However, colors such as Leather Paint Micro 54
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-paint-micro-54/
    is usually mixed with repair products such as Leather Stucco 90 and or Leather Glue 3D found in this Leather Repair Kit A8.r
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-repair-kit-a8-r/

>>> It seems to me that the leather is in great condition except for these deep cat scratches (many more than in the photo but all the same), and there is some darkening between the creases on the seats, particularly toward the rear of the seats.

Darkening between the creases are accumulated soiling and or aging conditioners that are effectively removed with Prep 7.7

>>> But the seat backs themselves seem pretty excellent, as shown in this last photo.

These back seats will also see a different appearance when worked with Prep 7.7 and you will need extras 8oz size with follow-up Acidifier 2.0, Cleaner 3.8, and Rinse 3.0 system, as a holistic cleaning system.

>>> So I was hoping to use your leather care kit on the whole couch and then just fill in these cat scratches with your dye.

You will need Leather Pigmented Care Kit P3
    Name:  Leather Pigmented Care Kit P3.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  115.6 KB
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-pi...d-care-kit-p3/

and Leather Repair Kit A8.r
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-repair-kit-a8-r/
    Name:  Kit A8.r-min.jpg
Size:  72.9 KB
    with products mentioned as add-ons.

>>> If this is possible, can you tell me how much to purchase? Or do you think I need to repaint and topcoat the whole bottom half?

It is not possible to tell you how much to order, what you do is test out one cushion, and you will know how much you need for the whole set.

>>> Or do you think I need to repaint and topcoat the whole bottom half?

You can decide after the restoration cleaning and repairs to further decide if you need to repaint and topcoat them. Do not apply Protector B yet if you are undecisive about repainting them.

>>> Also, I am wondering about color matching. Can you tell me which color I should mix to best match this?

See this color chart for your custom color-matching
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 2.55.53 PM.jpg
Size:  38.6 KB

I will be pleased to answer your further questions.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    phone: 604 773 1878

Thank you very much! I think I just have one question which is - how do I decide whether to use the Leather Stucco or the Leather Glue 3D as the filler product?

And should I practice first, or is this pretty straightforward?

>>> how do I decide whether to use the Leather Stucco or the Leather Glue 3D as the filler product?

Stucco 90 is a filling product and Glue 3D is an adhesive product, both have their pros and cons in repairing depending on the situation.

Stucco 90, pro is easy to fill up, and easily sandable when dry. The con is microcracking may develop sooner than Glue 3D.

Glue 3D, pro is less chance of developing microcracking. The con is not sandable.

Blending both is ideal in some applications.

Both would need color camouflaging after filling up. It would be wiser to mix with custom color Leather Paint Micro 54 in the filling repair. Assuming the filling-up color matches perfectly, it will require Leather Paint Topcoat 54 to seal in the color coating. The other option is to paint the entire couch and topcoat it, to a showroom condition.

>>> And should I practice first, or is this pretty straightforward?

Always practice first to understand how a product works and ask questions before you commence your work. Are you only interested in just filling up those scratches or does the overall appearance matter, this will determine how far you would go with this project.

And do not forget, that the scratches have to clean out the dry rotting fiber as well, hydrate and fatliquor to soften and strengthen it before filling it for a long-lasting repair.

Thread Information