Thread: 94 Mercedes leather cracks and colour repair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question 94 Mercedes leather cracks and colour repair

Good evening.

I refer you to this these threads that I read and reviewed, similar to my situation - age cracks and lines, no peeling.
    https://www.leathercleaningrestorati...rcedes+leather

https://www.leathercleaningrestorati...ghlight=filler

I am in the process of starting leather repair to the front driver side seat - side bolster and seat bottom side (photos attached for driver seat repairs to date).
    Typical age cracks and lines. I am looking to see how I can further prep and prepare the existing leather to complete the proper refinishing:
    The front passenger seat has cracks and lines and I would like to prep and maintain that side from further deterioration over time.

For the driver’s side, I have applied in light coats a filler and sanded down for the major bolster wear and also on the seat and color matched the color with an upholstery SEM canned paint I ordered thru Concept Finishes in Richmond BC, and airbrushed to match. The repairs (filler) was textured prior to the airbrushing and the result finish was a very good match.
    Unfortunately, the repair patch work with matching leather texture, began to crack so I sanded it down to what you see now to start again.

I’ve used a filler for the crack filling in what I thought was applied in thin coats. Perhaps I should have done the work in much thinner applications?

Anyways, I would like to seek you advice on prep, cleaning and maintenance and then repair these age cracks and lines and get the leather to a more improved supple state and prevent the return of the new paint application cracking.

Thank you.

Name:  IMG_3632.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMG_3633.jpeg
Views: 135
Size:  80.5 KBName:  Photo 2022-07-23, 2 03 33 PM.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  61.4 KB
    Last edited by mjames228; 11-24-2023 at 09:05 PM.

>>> Get the leather to a more improved supple state and prevent the return of the new paint application cracking.

When leather begins to crack, its usefulness is almost over, no matter how beautiful it looks with refinishing.

The Hydrator 3.3
    https://leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/

and Fatliquor 5.0
    https://leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/
    system is the answer to your problem.

Do you agree after reading through what others have done?

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    phone: 604 773 1878

Hello Roger,

Sorry for this late reply.
    This seems this would be a proper direction to take. The leather finish on the front seats is not super hard or stiff. Quite pliable considering being 28+ years old.
    I will use these 2 items to get them to a supple state.

I reviewed the application process.
    I presume the application of these 2 porducts is best suited with the leather at room temperature or above?

Once this is complete, I will look at refinishing again, where applicable.

Thank you for your advice on this.

>>> I presume the application of these 2 products is best suited with the leather at room temperature or above?

Yes, you are correct. You may also like to warm the distilled water before mixing on cold days.

Remember, these hydrating and fatliquoring processes are to go below the finishes and fully absorbed by the leather structure.

I recommend that the existing finishes be removed as much as possible, so that it does not become too thick with further new application. You may want to test out the Micro 54 and Micro Top 54 systems which produce a more flexible finer finish, before your actual application.

Hello Roger,
    Products arrived in a timely fashion. Thank you.

In response to your recommendation in post #4;
    I applied a couple of very light airbrushing coats of sem upholstery paint overall. The areas sanded down that you see in post #1, is where the cracks opened up again. The third photo below the first 2, is what was present before I applied a light airbrushing to to match the overall color. finish.

Should I be then lightly sanding down these areas too (to remove the airbrush paint), cleaning the surface up, and then follow the procedure; first with the hydrator 3.3 and then the fatliquor 5.5?
    I plan to tackle these two side bolster areas first. These were the worst of the leather cracking (no peeling).

The others parts of the front driver and passenger seats (front under the kneed bolster and perforated seat bottom, have signs of age cracking) and some stiffness ==> photos attached

Drivers front seat: front bolster and perforated bottom:

Name:  Front driver lhs seat-1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  66.7 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  70.5 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  86.6 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-4.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  57.1 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-5.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  86.5 KB

Should I work to sand down these areas too, to apply the hydrator and the fatliquor ?

Hi Roger,
    Your pkg arrived fast today and I reviewed briefly the documents.
    I will have to pick up distilled water tomorrow and hopefully get started on the first areas in post #1.
    Perhaos I should start lightly sanding down the other areas of the front passenger seat first (post #6), cleanup to start the entire driver's set bottom and bolsters with hydrate first?

Also, photos attached here
    Passenger front seats and bolster have only been cleaned up - no airbrushing work.

Similar, but less wear, in leather cracks to the driver front seat:

Name:  Front passenger rhs seat-1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  70.2 KB Name:  Front passenger rhs seat-2.jpg
Size:  75.5 KB Name:  Front passenger rhs seat-3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  40.8 KB Name:  Front passenger rhs seat-4.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  53.8 KB Name:  Front passenger rhs seat-5.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  92.4 KB
    Last edited by mjames228; 11-29-2023 at 09:07 PM.

I have a light airbrush on the driver's seat back support side bolster as well as on the bottom seating side bolster and front bolster. The perforated set bottom also has a light airbrush to get uniform colouring to be consistent but no work done on it, other than the application of leatherique, in past.

Front seats Driver side:

Name:  Front driver lhs seat-1.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  66.7 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  70.5 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  86.6 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-4.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  57.1 KB Name:  Front driver lhs seat-5.jpg
Size:  86.5 KB
    Last edited by mjames228; 11-29-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Thread Information