Thread: Weird Black Spot On Keepall Vachetta…. LEATHER ROT? Help Please

Default Weird Black Spot On Keepall Vachetta…. LEATHER ROT? Help Please

Hi I just purchased a pre loved Keepall and there are black spots on the vachetta in 3 places. After a little research on google I’m wondering if this is leather rot? If so can I fix it? What should I expect in the future? Will it get worse? Eventually break? Name:  80A5A2F7-F2BC-43F7-BD98-42153B0A93EA.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  448.8 KBName:  6B528923-07BB-493F-A004-881AA55F3E85.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  460.3 KBName:  9EA9EC93-2AAA-43B7-8A2A-39F439836F2A.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  155.2 KB

>>> I’m wondering if this is leather rot?
    This looks like the leather is charred by possible alkaline overexposure that already shows crackings (some alkaline solution may have contacted those places that cause overdrying with crackings).

>>> If so can I fix it?
    When leather cracks, it's the collective fiber-like strings that break, and there is no way to join back. The dryness of the leather of its fatliquor (fat and oil) can be overall replenished.

>>> What should I expect in the future?
    The health of the leather depends on the fatliquor moisture content and will need periodic replenishing to keep the leather supple. The cracks will get worse and eventually breaks or tear.

>>> Will it get worse?
    Without replenishing the fatliquor up to 15% and as the fatliquor continues to evaporate the leather tensile strength will get worse with stiffness and crack lines will develop when flexed.

>>> Eventually break?

When leather is fully saturated with fatliquor, perhaps it may take up to 2000 lbs per square inch strength. Some industrial leather belts may have strength above 5000psi. Fatliquor content of leather can be measured with a leather moisture meter and is one that contributes to the strength of leather besides the thickness.

Let me know if you like to have some tips to maintain the general strength and appearance of the leather.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    WhatsApp: +639467037976

It doesn't look like leather rot, but more like exposure to high temperatures.

If these dark spots are the result of high temperatures, they would also char the 'threads' and the 'vinyl', you think so?

Leather is an amphoteric protein material, highly pH sensitive, whereas both the 'thread' and the 'vinyl' are not, so they escape the effect of high alkaline overexposure.

You are absolutely right. The filaments would have melted or burned, too.

Thread Information