View Poll Results: What to do with the bag?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Self-cleaning

1 100.00%
  • Send for professional cleaning

0 0%
  • Discsrd it

0 0%

Thread: Mold on leather bag

Question Mold on leather bag

Hello all. So I have this leather bag for many years now. The mold started showing not long after I had the bag (about 2 years) and I had since tried to do self-cleaning with mild soap twice and the mold came back. So finally 2 years ago, I sent it for professional cleaning and colour restoration. It was okay for a while and I made sure to keep the bag in a dry and cool environment. However, after about half a year, the mold started showing again.

So, I would like some advice if it is still possible to salvage the bag or if i should just discard it?

Thanks a lot in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images     

>>> The mold started showing not long after I had the bag (about 2 years)

It is common to have leathers in storage that are infested with mold starting from the tannery all the way into our modern home. The leather is preserved against mold with fungicide and as fungicide weakens after a few months, mold presents itself when the environment is humid and lacks sun or UV lights. Fungicides only prevent and preserve the leather from infestation and if the mold sinks its roots into the leather, any further application will not remove the sinking roots.

>>> and I had since tried to do self-cleaning with mild soap twice and the mold came back.

Mild to the leather means cleaning with a pH value of 3 to 5. Any pH value that is above 7 will be harsh to the leather. Remember leather is an amphoteric protein material and even any alkalinity specialty cleaner will need to be neutralized with a low pH rinse like Acidifier-2.0 (pH value 2.0) to bring back the final pH value of the leather to between pH 3 and 5. All soaps will leave a scrum that sticks to the leather similar to our bathtub's coats with sticky soap scum. These soap scum become soiling for the mold/fungus to flourish and multiply too. Humidity also plays a part and above 55% percentage of moisture contents also flavors mold/fungus infestation. Keeping leather away from sunlight/UV light also attracts mold/fungus growth.

>>> So finally 2 years ago, I sent it for professional cleaning and color restoration. It was okay for a while and I made sure to keep the bag in a dry and cool environment. However, after about half a year, the mold started showing again.

If the leather is not treated with tannery quality mold inhibitors such Leather Doctor LeatherMoldOdorInhibitor-3.6 before refinishing and with a periodic 8 monthly application until the mold/fungus dormant pores are complete eradicated, mold/fungus may re-appear.

>>> So, I would like some advice if it is still possible to salvage the bag or if I should just discard it?

Leather in tannery storage is often infested with mold/fungus when conditions mentioned earlier favor their growths. What they do is clean off the surface growth clean and treated with similar products of the same quality as LeatherMoldOdorInhibitor-3.6

Leather Mold Odor Inhibitor - Kit-A3.mk
    Name:  Kit-A3.mk__69947.1464990361.50.50.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  1.8 KB

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-12-2022 at 02:25 AM.

I understand that your leather bag has been facing a persistent mold issue, even though it's been a year since you posted about it. Mold can be quite stubborn, and it's frustrating when it keeps coming back.
    In case you're still dealing with the mold problem, here are a few suggestions:
    1. Professional Cleaning: Consider sending your bag for professional cleaning and mold removal again, as professionals have specialized equipment and techniques for dealing with mold that might provide a more long-term solution.
    2. Storage: Ensure your bag is stored in a dry and well-ventilated area.
    If, despite your efforts, the mold continues to return and significantly damages the bag, it might be time to consider replacing it. You can explore some quality leather bags and accessories at https://vonbaer.com/ to find a suitable replacement or addition to your collection.
    Last edited by CanDynamo; 12-27-2023 at 04:59 AM.

Thread Information