Thread: Turning Sheepskin into Nappalan

Default Turning Sheepskin into Nappalan

Hi Roger,

Thanks for this great forum.

I'm making a nappalan jacket, but am finding it hard to source the right skin. So, I'm planning to buy a sheepskin and turn it into nappalan.

I want to turn this:

Name:  il_794xN.3436382091_nzba.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  41.6 KB

into this:

Name:  9325253eb897dc5e_va1298-zip-800.jpeg
Views: 503
Size:  27.9 KB

Will these be possible with your products? If so, what products should I use, including the specific dye to achieve that colour, and what is the step-by-step method?

Many thanks,
    Adam

>>> what products should I use,

Hydrator-3.3, this is a preconditioner to replenish Fatliquor-5.0 (fat and oil) to the suede side of the skin.
    We do not know how long the skin has left the tannery, as the fatliquor diminishes through evaporation, the only determination is by a leather moisture meter reading at about 15%.

Fatliquor-5.0 will restore suppleness and stitching strength to the skin, otherwise tear easily at shoulder when skin is dry.

Aniline-21Antique Brown stains into the skin, thus scratching of the top finishes will not revealed the undyed skin for better aesthetic.

Aniline-76Clear transforms the suede into nappalan.

Aniline-76Antique Brown creates an antiquing appearance or Nappalan Aniline

AnilineTop-76G seals the dyestuff and imparts the characteristic aniline luster.

Protector-B protects the Nappalan Aniline surface with a non-stick, buttery feel.

Let me know any questions you may have for further details.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> what products should I use,

Hydrator-3.3, this is a preconditioner to replenish Fatliquor-5.0 (fat and oil) to the suede side of the skin.
    We do not know how long the skin has left the tannery, as the fatliquor diminishes through evaporation, the only determination is by a leather moisture meter reading at about 15%.

Fatliquor-5.0 will restore suppleness and stitching strength to the skin, otherwise tear easily at shoulder when skin is dry.

Aniline-21Antique Brown stains into the skin, thus scratching of the top finishes will not revealed the undyed skin for better aesthetic.

Aniline-76Clear transforms the suede into nappalan.

Aniline-76Antique Brown creates an antiquing appearance or Nappalan Aniline

AnilineTop-76G seals the dyestuff and imparts the characteristic aniline luster.

Protector-B protects the Nappalan Aniline surface with a non-stick, buttery feel.

Let me know any questions you may have for further details.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thank you Roger. Will the above products give a continuous film or a non-continuous film? Also is there anywhere I can see a colour chart of the various Aniline-21 colours?

Also, can I use an airbrush for all of the products that you listed above?

All the best,
    Adam

>>>Will the above products give a continuous film or a non-continuous film?
    The products will impart a continuous film. As it ages micro creasing will develop and the film becomes a non-continuous film.

>>> Also is there anywhere I can see a colour chart of the various Aniline-21 colours?
    The common colors are black, dark-brown, red-brown, orange, yellow. Antique brown is a combination of 3 colors, and I believe your jacket is a combination of dark-brown, red-brown and orange (or yellow) in equal parts. Since aniline colors are transparent, a darker intensity will need extra application. And since leather absorbs at different rates it would produce a lively varied tone also known as Sauvage.

>>> Also, can I use an airbrush for all of the products that you listed above?
    Turning suede to Nappalan will require padding or whipping to smooth the suede. And until the surface is smooth to the finger touch, any additional color balancing is touched up or feather out by airbrushing.

The products will impart a continuous film. As it ages micro creasing will develop and the film becomes a non-continuous film.

>>> Also is there anywhere I can see a colour chart of the various Aniline-21 colours?
    The common colors are black, dark-brown, red-brown, orange, yellow. Antique brown is a combination of 3 colors, and I believe your jacket is a combination of dark-brown, red-brown and orange (or yellow) in equal parts. Since aniline colors are transparent, a darker intensity will need extra application. And since leather absorbs at different rates it would produce a lively varied tone also known as Sauvage.

Turning suede to Nappalan will require padding or whipping to smooth the suede. And until the surface is smooth to the finger touch, any additional color balancing is touched up or feather out by airbrushing.

Thank you roger, I will buy the products you mentioned. Can I just confirm what 'whipping/padding' is, and do I do it before applying the products?

Thanks,
    Adam

Thank you roger, I will buy the products you mentioned. Can I just confirm what 'whipping/padding' is, and do I do it before applying the products?

So, to turn sheepskin into nappalan I will:

Whip/Pad > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Aniline-21Antique Brown > Aniline-76Clear > Aniline-76Antique Brown > AnilineTop-76G > Protector-B

In that order?

Thanks,
    Adam

Thread Information