Thread: Advice needed for restoring this Chanel Classic Flap

Default Advice needed for restoring this Chanel Classic Flap

Hi Roger,

The lambskin bag has the following which I hope to fix:
    1) Chain indents on the back (pic 1)
    2) Line indent on the front underpuff (pic 2)
    3) Deflated puffs (pic 3)

May i know if its possible to fix the above and which products would you recommend I purchase?

Thank you

Name:  Yok1.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  Yok2.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  Yok3.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  70.1 KB

>>> 3) Deflated puffs (pic 3)
    What we see the ‘diamond’ quilting deflated is actually shrinkage of the original tannery fatliquor (fat and oil) content in the leather structure. Since fat and oil are VOC (volatile organic compounds), it will start evaporating the moment it is fat liquored. Just like our car engine oil, it will somehow diminish and will need periodic top up.

>>> 1) Chain indents on the back (pic 1) 2) Line indent on the front underpuff (pic 2)
    Indentation of leather through use and accident is just as common as ‘stamping’ of leather to create designs. It is much easier to relax the indentation from normal use and accidents than to undo a heat and pressure design stamping.

>>> May i know if its possible to fix the above
    The compressed or indented leather will need to be relaxed through hydration with Hydrator-3.3. This hydration process required the entire thickness of the leather to be saturated and manual manipulation until the indentation and compression was relaxed to the original dimension. Once satisfied with the result, fatliquoring with Fatliquor-5.0 begins. It is the content left behind after all the water content evaporates that will retain the fullness of the leather. The fat plumps the fullness of the leather and the oil lubricates the leather for strength and flexibility to retain the suppleness of the leather back to the tannery standard.

>>> and which products would you recommend I purchase?
    I recommend the Leather Aniline Care Kit-A3 from this link:
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...e-care-kit-a3/
    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 3.27.40 PM.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. I have a few questions:

1) For hydrator process, do I need to cover up the leather with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell up to 72hrs for complete hydration or saturation?

2) I read that some experienced mold during the wet process. I live in a humid area, any tips to prevent mold during the wet process?

3) I'm new to this, may i know how do I ensure i have applied sufficient fatliquor?

Thank you so much

3)

1) For the hydrator process, do I need to cover up the leather with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell for up to 72hrs for complete hydration or saturation?
    This plastic wrapping is an option with pros and cons (I would not recommend it for first-timer).

2) I read that some experienced mold during the wet process. I live in a humid area, any tips to prevent mold during the wet process?
    Mold is common in humid environments. An application of Mold-3.6 after cleaning and before the hydrating process will control mold infestation problems.
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...hibitor-3-6-1/

3) I'm new to this, may i know how do I ensure i have applied sufficient fatliquor?

Fatliquor is seldom over-applied, as 5 out of 6 parts water will evaporate off the leather.
    The fatliquor is continuously applied once it dries until the last application, the fatliquor begins to saturate onto the surface. Could be the final application. The actual percentage of the fat and oil in the leather structure when dried measured with a leather moisture meter reads about 14% (universal tannery standard). “Over” sufficient is better than “Under” sufficient.

Thread Information