Thread: Cleaning / Restoring Suede on Burberry Hobo Bag

Post Cleaning / Restoring Suede on Burberry Hobo Bag

I am hoping to fix the damage I have done to the suede on my Burberry handbag:
    Name:  Burb1.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  132.0 KBName:  Burb2.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  35.3 KBName:  Burb3.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  36.0 KBName:  Burb4.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  32.3 KBName:  Burb5.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  37.3 KBName:  Burb6.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  37.2 KB
    The black suede around the zipper along the top of the bag, and some areas on the front and back of the bag are slightly lighter looking in color because the suede is shiny and flatter in those areas. (The pictures make those areas look white, but they are not) These stains are a mixture of body oils from handling, opening and closing, etc., and from trying to clean the bag using Angelus brand "Easy Cleaner". The suede also has a couple of areas where it has been over-brushed. I'm not sure there is a way to fix that though. Is there a way to correct these issues? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I just want to add that the pictures seem to really emphasize the problem areas, making the condition of the bag look worse than it is. There is no actual discoloration to the suede.

>>> The black suede around the zipper along the top of the bag, and some areas on the front and back of the bag are slightly lighter looking in color because the suede is shiny and flatter in those areas.

The slightly lighter-looking color is typically the loss of color due to sunlight and UV fading. To improve the intensity or saturation of the color will need a restorative cleaning with Prep-4.4 > CleanSuede-4.5 > RinseSuede-2.3 and continue with a leather rejuvenating system with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator.3.3.

>>> These stains are a mixture of body oils from handling, opening, and closing, etc., and from trying to clean the bag using Angelus brand "Easy Cleaner".

Any suede cleaner that has a pH value higher than 7 will cause a loss of color to the suede. Suede has a pH value of between 3 and 5 (acidic). Alkaline cleaners cause the amphoteric suede protein fibers to shift ionic negative (-ve), and the dyestuff breaks the hydrogen bond. Restoration cleaning with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 and continue with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator.3.3 will help to remove oily stains and also neutralize alkalinity from alkaline cleaners.

>>> The suede also has a couple of areas where it has been over-brushed. I'm not sure there is a way to fix that though. Is there a way to correct these issues?

Over-brushed areas with some fibers being longer can be trimmed with a hair trimmer.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 9.05.48 PM.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  83.9 KB
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/suede-...ser-kit-s5-dr/

Note: Very careful when using a suede brush, split-suede is suede on both sides and they are coarser that suits a brass brush. Napa-suede is smooth leather on the other side and they are much finer that will require a nylon brush like this one:
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/suedenapabrush-2/
    SuedeEraser-5 is for coarse split-suede.
    LeatherEraser-4 is for fine napa-suede.
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathereraser-4/

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

I understand your concern, and I have a few solutions that may help. I recommend using a suede brush to revive the nap and add fluffiness back. Use a suede eraser to remove any dirt or build-up from the surface. If there’s still an issue with over-brushing, try using a light shade of shoe polish for color correction & uniformity.

Indeed your bag is in very bad state. There are many ways to restore suede bags like using suede brush or using other commercial leather care products. If you don't feel confident about cleaning it at home, you can also take help from a leather care expert.

Thread Information