Thread: Full grain aniline leather and paint

Default Full grain aniline leather and paint

I just received eight new dining room chairs made from Spinneybeck leather. It is the Andes line which is full grain aniline leather. Unfortunately, my painter splattered a bit of paint on one of the new chairs. We just noticed it but the paint has been there for six days. What are the recommended products and procedures to remove the paint? I have attached pictures of the paint, leather properties, and paint splatter. Thanks for your insight.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I recommend that we do a test on a piece of sample leather with similar paint splattered pattern with products system such as:

CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

Prep-4.4 > CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

Name:  Kit-A7.di__33757.1566872756.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  269.2 KB
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...ver-kit-a7-di/

Assuming that the stain is above the surface of the original topcoat, however, it will be tougher if the stain breaks through the original topcoat and does penetrate into the leather grain, will be tougher to remove and the only safe way is with the help of Hydrator-3.3 to floats the stain to the surface with ‘reverse transfer' technique. Restoring a transparent color is more difficult compared to an opaque color too. We will know how far we can accomplish from the test sample.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    I recommend that we do a test on a piece of sample leather with similar paint splattered pattern with products system such as:

CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

Prep-4.4 > CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

Name:  Kit-A7.di__33757.1566872756.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  269.2 KB
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...ver-kit-a7-di/

Assuming that the stain is above the surface of the original topcoat, however, it will be tougher if the stain breaks through the original topcoat and does penetrate into the leather grain, will be tougher to remove and the only safe way is with the help of Hydrator-3.3 to floats the stain to the surface with ‘reverse transfer' technique. Restoring a transparent color is more difficult compared to an opaque color too. We will know how far we can accomplish from the test sample.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Great. Thanks for your insight.
    Can you lease send me an invoice with the products that I will need and we can detail our adventure from there?

Received all of your products. Thanks. What is the procedure to remove the paint?

>>>What is the procedure to remove the paint?

Test on a piece of the sample or on a hidden area.

A - With water, if the leather is absorbent, if it turns dark it is absorbent. If so, the paint will also be absorbed into the leather grain surface, which will make removal more difficult and chances of color and topcoat coat damage are quite evident.

B - Test with CleanDye-7.9 on a leather sample stained with paint to see if the paint is dissolved and removed. Drip a drop of CleanDye-7.9 let it dwell a minute and use bamboo skewers to ease off the paint to see the result.

C - Test with Prep-4.4 on a leather sample stain with paint and repeat as above B.

Post some pictures of the result and we will further discuss from there.

Tips-1:
    Always test on samples or hidden areas for satisfaction before attempting the stains removal, as you take your own risk for damaging the original finishes.

Tips-2:
    The safest procedure is using products of matching strength that move the paint without removing the topcoat and the color of the leather. Most paint remover products will also remove the original topcoat and color that will need to refinish which may not be achievable to match the original finishes.

Thread Information