Thread: Too much darkening post treatment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Too much darkening post treatment

You guided me through the treatment of this cushion and it is complete except for top coat which I will skip as chair is being replaced. What can I do differently to have not so dark a result? I also want to know the best procedure to protect the new piece once it arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

>>> What can I do differently to have not so dark a result?

This darkening result is the combination of Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > EffectWax-8.6 system.
    Less amount of the system will produce a lighter result.
    Another option is to stretch it to reduce the color saturation effect.
    Exposure to UV lights will also lighten the color saturation.

>>> I also want to know the best procedure to protect the new piece once it arrives.

New is only new at the tannery, the primary and secondary structural conditioner is VOC (volatile organic compound).
    Look at the clouds, just an analogy, the color saturation varies, depending on its percentage of water content too.

Will I need to add the top coat or just stay with protect D on new piece or pieces that are not stained and only need minimal cleaning?

The topcoat is optional, the Protector-D is recommended.

Default Need help to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    The topcoat is optional, the Protector-D is recommended.
    Hello, I started working on couch cushions with same leather as chair you assisted me with. I believed one area was stained from regular use(sweat/oil). After cleaning, they are had different look and feel when wet(not squeaky and greenish color). I followed with degreaser/acidifier/hydrator and I’m just not sure it’s completely ready to continue. After dry it is very dry and crispy and light colored. There is very dark/black surrounding the lighter area(looks veiny). I used eraser on dark areas and it helped some. It’s hard for me to know normal dark areas from staining that has surfaced. Name:  IMG_0767.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  101.9 KBName:  IMG_0767.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  101.9 KB

I am now working on couch cushions. I’m having trouble deciding if I need to clean more or what to continue. I will try to attach pictures. I did a second cushion but did not use degreaser and it is fine. There are some dark places, but I can’t tell normal color variations from stains that have surfaced. Second cushion I continued with fat liquor. One won’t light area and surround darkness and very dry now I have not continued.

Kelley
    Attached Images Attached Images  

>>> I’m having trouble deciding if I need to clean more or what to continue.

The stain will need more Hydrator-3.3 to move it to the surface to be extracted.

Tips:

Use the lint-free paper towel, wet it out with Hydrator-3.3, and let it dry for a reverse transfer of the stain into the paper towel. Make sure no air bubbles.

When the stain is satisfactorily removed continue in this sequence Hydrator-3.3, Fatliquor-5.0, Wax Pull-up 8.6, Top Coat, and Protector-D.

Tips:

To avoid rings, wet out the entire surface with Hydrator-3.3.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 06-27-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Thread Information