Thread: The Vuitton Cabas Mezzo from Hell

Default The Vuitton Cabas Mezzo from Hell

So I have this Vuitton Cabas Mezzo about 20 or so years old that I got for a steal and I'm wishing to restore it. She is in remarkably good shape for her age, with no tears or physical damage--just these stains. What I normally use hasn't worked on this problem child. It still shows signs of discoloration and staining (which I have no clue as to how they were made). I've used Apple Brand Conditioner on it and Saddle soap with Sensitive Skin Baby Wipes. That's it. Nothing else has been done to the bag. Since I own multiple Vuittons (all canvas and vachetta) and wish to start restoring them as a side hobby I'm interested in two things:

1) Which kit is best for this bag and general cleaning for Vachetta leather?
    2) What is the series of steps involved in getting this problem child cleaned and restored as best possible? I've looked at the table but I'm not real clear on what order these things go in. I did see that the kits are concentrate and will need to be mixed here at my house. I'm willing to spend the money involved for a kit that will do everything I need it to do, and I intend to use this same methodolgy on other bags including the ones I already own.

Thanks!

Name:  Bag1.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  89.1 KBName:  BAG2.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  93.7 KBName:  BAG3.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  75.8 KB

>>> just these stains.

If you can detect a musty odor from the stain, then these mold-infested stains stay.
    Otherwise, most discoloration and staining are removed by Redox (redox-oxidation) with Vachetta-2.8 at the final stage when the leather has enough fatliquor (fat and oil).
    Drying the leather without sufficient fatliquor (15%) may lead to stiffness and when stress will lead to cracks.

>>> I've used Apple Brand Conditioner on it and Saddle soap with Sensitive Skin Baby Wipes.

Please check the pH value of all the mentioned products and if they are above the pH value of 7, the stains and stiffness will worsen.
    All such products used have to be neutralized with a low pH value of 2, such as Acidifier-2.0 to revert or balance its pH value to about 3.
    Since leather is an amphoteric material with a positive (+ve) anionic charge.

>>> 1) Which kit is best for this bag and general cleaning for Vachetta leather?

For general cleaning including the ‘canvas’ Kit-V7

https://www.leatherdoctor.com/louis-...r-care-kit-v7/
    Name:  Kit_V7___59114.1446838471.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  154.7 KB

For the Vachetta browning problem Kit-V4
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...emover-kit-v4/
    Name:  Kit-V4__16193.1581130649.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  313.3 KB

>>> 2) What is the series of steps involved in getting this problem child cleaned and restored as best possible? I've looked at the table but I'm not real clear on what order these things go in.

Here is the guide for both the ‘Vachetta’ and the ‘canvas’.

Vachetta Problem Solving Matrix
    Name:  vachetta-v-.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  146.6 KB

Pigmented/Canvas Problem Solving Matrix
    Name:  pigmented-p.s-simulated.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  123.4 KB

>>> and I intend to use this same methodology on other bags including the ones I already own.

This methodology we recommend is based on the principle of science practiced by leather chemists in today's modern tannery that this vachetta leather comes from.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> just these stains.

If you can detect a musty odor from the stain, then these mold-infested stains stay.
    Otherwise, most discoloration and staining are removed by Redox (redox-oxidation) with Vachetta-2.8 at the final stage when the leather has enough fatliquor (fat and oil).
    Drying the leather without sufficient fatliquor (15%) may lead to stiffness and when stress will lead to cracks.

Vachetta Problem Solving Matrix
    Name:  vachetta-v-.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  146.6 KB

So, just looking at the matrix--which line(s) are you using? I only see one line that ends with Vachetta-2.8 at the end and thats line D1 under Finish Problems. Is that the line I use (D1)? Or am I better off using line A6 plus another line or something else?

>>> So, just looking at the matrix--which line(s) are you using? I only see one line that ends with Vachetta-2.8 at the end and thats line D1 under Finish Problems. Is that the line I use (D1)? Or am I better off using line A6 plus another line or something else?

We can use a combination of lines without duplicating the products.

We can even consider line B1

And since body oil and grease are more common and do affect the darkening effect is a better practice.

This will be the combined sequence of step when we combine D1 and B1

Degreaser-2.2 > VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 >>> Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 + Vachetta-2.8 + Rinse-3.0 + Protector-B.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thread Information