Thread: Chanel Diana: dry or retouched?

Default Chanel Diana: dry or retouched?

Hello! I was wondering if you would be able to help me with this diana I bought recently. The seller stated it was in original condition, however the leather feels a bit rough and dry to to the touch (outer flap and back of purse). While the stitches appear clean, I’m not sure if the bag has been redyed/painted or if it’s simply dry and needs good conditioning. Can you please take a look and offer your opinion?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

>>> The seller stated it was in original condition,

The original condition of the leather structure from the tannery has an average fatliquor (fat and oil) content of average 14%. And since fat and oil are VOC (volatile organic compounds) it would evaporate through ageing. That is to say the percentage of fatliquor will diminish and this can be verified with a leather moisture meter to read out the moisture content in normal dry condition.

>>> While the stitches appear clean

I do not see that the stitches appear clean, they are not, as you can see from the first picture there are residues. Perhaps you see under a magnifying glass to determine what I see is correct.

>>> I’m not sure if the bag has been redyed/painted

This bag is probably “painted” then “dyed”, as evidence of paint residues from picture #1. Picture #2 shows a wrinkle film formed when pressed with a finger also suggests a layer coating is evidence. It has a papery feel when pressed, as if there is a film layer on top of the leather crust.

>>> however the leather feels a bit rough and dry to to the touch

Roughness is more often experienced with painting as the micro pigment color size is much larger than the micron size of aniline dyestuff.

>>> and dry to the touch

The dry to the touch is the lack of fatliquor from the leather structure and a feeling conditioner to the surface grain.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information