Thread: Blue marks?

Default Blue marks?

Some blue marks appeared on the stitches during the hydrator step. Not all the stitches are like this. They disappear when the bag dries. What caused this and what can I do about it?
    Name:  E3505C35-4283-45FF-BAFC-5A1920307C6D.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  134.2 KB

Also, there are uneven colour due to sun exposure. If I repeat the hydrator-fatliquor cycle, can the colour be more even? See the top portion is lighter than the bottom beige portion in the photo.
    Name:  02A18F3D-6BC6-40A3-A301-668FA64249CB.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  110.5 KBName:  02A18F3D-6BC6-40A3-A301-668FA64249CB.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  110.5 KB

>>> Some blue marks appeared on the stitches during the hydrator step. Not all the stitches are like this. They disappear when the bag dries. What caused this and what can I do about it?

When leather is tanned with Chrome, the leather crust appears as “bluish-grey”, which is probably the reason. Just like your skin color will show through when your wet light colored clothes come in contact with your skin. And when the light color clothing becomes dry the color of your skin is no more shown through.

>>> Also, there are uneven colour due to sun exposure. If I repeat the hydrator-fatliquor cycle, can the colour be more even? See the top portion is lighter than the bottom beige portion in the photo.

If the leather crust is dyed with “aniline” dyestuff and if there is excess dyestuff still remains in the leather structure, then Hydrator-3.3 will help to redistribute the suspended dyestuff to the surface. For example, when you put hot water over some fresh tea leaves, the color of the tea leaves appears. But if the tea leaves are repeated with hot water again, less of the color will appear.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks Roger! Very illustrative reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> Some blue marks appeared on the stitches during the hydrator step. Not all the stitches are like this. They disappear when the bag dries. What caused this and what can I do about it?

When leather is tanned with Chrome, the leather crust appears as “bluish-grey”, which is probably the reason. Just like your skin color will show through when your wet light colored clothes come in contact with your skin. And when the light color clothing becomes dry the color of your skin is no more shown through.

>>> Also, there are uneven colour due to sun exposure. If I repeat the hydrator-fatliquor cycle, can the colour be more even? See the top portion is lighter than the bottom beige portion in the photo.

If the leather crust is dyed with “aniline” dyestuff and if there is excess dyestuff still remains in the leather structure, then Hydrator-3.3 will help to redistribute the suspended dyestuff to the surface. For example, when you put hot water over some fresh tea leaves, the color of the tea leaves appears. But if the tea leaves are repeated with hot water again, less of the color will appear.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Hi Roger, I've used Hydrator to keep the bag wet for 2 cycles (without fatliquor), but the colour still does not diffuse. Should I use fatliquor like a normal cycle?

Do you have pictures of when the bag was wet?

>>> but the colour still does not diffuse.

Did not diffuse when wet, but disappear when it is dry?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-08-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Do you have pictures of when the bag was wet?

>>> but the colour still does not diffuse.

Did not diffuse when wet, but disappear when it is dry?
    Please see the photos when wet. The area around the hardware is harder. This uneven colour did not diffuse out when wet, and remains when dry.
    Name:  B83BEC25-8A39-49FF-BA25-A34354E3379F.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  145.1 KBName:  A3D5F5B0-2EB3-481F-9624-E8A8FD8086D1.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  163.8 KB

>>> Please see the photos when wet

Please explain the steps and products you are processing up to this stage?

>>> Please see the photos when wet

Please explain the steps and products you are processing up to this stage?
    I simply sprayed with hydrator to soak overnight, then sprayed again when it’s dry.

>>> Please see the photos when wet.

Do you have pictures before you wet it?

>>>The area around the hardware is harder.

That is because of the lack of Fatliquor-5.0. Not supposed to allow the leather to get dry before Fatliquor-5.0.

>>> This uneven colour did not diffuse out when wet and remains when dry.

Have you used a horsehair brush and did you use any dry towel extraction?

>>> and remains when dry.
    Have you used LeatherEraser-4 to do testing if these are surface soiling?

>>> I simply sprayed with hydrator to soak overnight,
    What was your intention of spraying with Hydrator-3.3 and soaking overnight?

>>> then sprayed again when it’s dry.

What is the reason you want to spray it again when dry?

>>> Please see the photos when wet.

Do you have pictures before you wet it?

>>>The area around the hardware is harder.

That is because of the lack of Fatliquor-5.0. Not supposed to allow the leather to get dry before Fatliquor-5.0.

>>> This uneven colour did not diffuse out when wet and remains when dry.

Have you used a horsehair brush and did you use any dry towel extraction?

>>> and remains when dry.
    Have you used LeatherEraser-4 to do testing if these are surface soiling?

>>> I simply sprayed with hydrator to soak overnight,
    What was your intention of spraying with Hydrator-3.3 and soaking overnight?

>>> then sprayed again when it’s dry.

What is the reason you want to spray it again when dry?
    I enclose the dry and wet photos again. You can see that the area around the hardware is darker because it’s covered by the flap. It is not surface soiling, and there’s no colour if I use towel extraction. It is the original leather colour. I sprayed the hydrator when the surface is almost dry to repeat the wet process. The leather must stay wet right?

Name:  DD66571A-4121-41EC-B99F-402CBBB230B1.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  114.9 KBName:  928D309E-07A4-4F4B-9591-6C56C4A080CF.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  174.7 KB

>>> I sprayed the hydrator when the surface is almost dry to repeat the wet process. The leather must stay wet right?

Tips:

Cover it airtight with Towel-5 for a "reverse-transfer" and see if the browning does transfer to the towel when dry.

Another possibility is to apply Vachetta-2.8
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachet...remover-2-8-1/

or
    LeatherTanninRemover-3.5
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...remover-3-5-1/

>>> I sprayed the hydrator when the surface is almost dry to repeat the wet process. The leather must stay wet right?

Tips:

Cover it airtight with Towel-5 for a "reverse-transfer" and see if the browning does transfer to the towel when dry.

Another possibility is to apply Vachetta-2.8
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachet...remover-2-8-1/

or
    LeatherTanninRemover-3.5
    https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...remover-3-5-1/
    Today mold appeared on the surface of the bag. If I use KillMold, will it remove the dark spots? Do I still need to recolour the bag? What do I need to take note when doing the KillMold treatment? Should I use a nylon brush or a cloth to rub into the leather?

Name:  ADDE9F38-592C-4177-966D-07F4E9A04B15.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  94.2 KBName:  E1F801CC-5735-486A-843E-0040628F5454.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  111.9 KB

>>> Today mold appeared on the surface of the bag. If I use KillMold, will it remove the dark spots?

Dark spots are the sinking pits or roots-system the mold has digested or created. KillMold-3.6 is developed for preventing mold growth in warm and humid environments.

>>> Do I still need to recolour the bag?
    Recoloring is an option.

>>> What do I need to take note of when doing the KillMold treatment? Should I use a nylon brush or a cloth to rub into the leather?

Avoid breathing the mist. I would transfer to a small container and dip the horsehair brush for application to be absorbed into the leather with an even appearance.

>>> Today mold appeared on the surface of the bag. If I use KillMold, will it remove the dark spots?

Dark spots are the sinking pits or roots-system the mold has digested or created. KillMold-3.6 is developed for preventing mold growth in warm and humid environments.

Recoloring is an option.

>>> What do I need to take note of when doing the KillMold treatment? Should I use a nylon brush or a cloth to rub into the leather?

Avoid breathing the mist. I would transfer to a small container and dip the horsehair brush for application to be absorbed into the leather with an even appearance.
    Thank you. That’s helpful. I was about to spray the KillMold.

Also, how do I know if I have applied enough on the leather? Will the dark spots lighten?

How many rounds of KillMold can I apply?
    Last edited by baglover; 04-23-2021 at 02:24 AM.

Recoloring is an option.

What is the process for KillMold? Do I need to follow with Rinse, Hydrator, Fatliquor etc.?

>>> What is the process for KillMold? Do I need to follow with Rinse, Hydrator, Fatliquor etc.?

KillMold-3.6 is applied to be absorbed with an even appearance, and follows with rejuvenating the leather with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 as a collective "wet-process".

>>> What is the process for KillMold? Do I need to follow with Rinse, Hydrator, Fatliquor etc.?

KillMold-3.6 is applied to be absorbed with an even appearance, and follows with rejuvenating the leather with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 as a collective "wet-process".
    Thank you.

The dark spots don’t seem to lighten. Would it help if I use a brush to agitate until the black colour comes out? I’ve tried a little of CleanDye but it doesn’t help.

>>> Would it help if I use a brush to agitate until the black colour comes out?

If you examine carefully even with a magnifying glass, you would probably see that the black color is below the surface. There are also no proven methods to lighten up the dark spots. It is the same with our skins with its natural speckles, that once it is there will remain quite permanently.

>>> Would it help if I use a brush to agitate until the black colour comes out?

If you examine carefully even with a magnifying glass, you would probably see that the black color is below the surface. There are also no proven methods to lighten up the dark spots. It is the same with our skins with its natural speckles, that once it is there will remain quite permanently.
    I’ve applied 5 rounds of KillMold -> hydrator - fatliquor. There’s a patch that seems to increase in size, now I can see the white cardboard inside the leather. How do I make the mold stop growing?
    Name:  3FA601C1-00DD-4522-8418-B02CE2F090D5.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  81.5 KB

>>> I’ve applied 5 rounds of KillMold -> hydrator - fatliquor

KillMold-3.6 is the last application and let it dry. (It will retard the growth of mold if the leather is kept in low humidity under sun or UV light).

Thread Information