Thread: Aniline - How should I Proceed with this 5 year old Severely Faded Aniline Leather Chair.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aniline - How should I Proceed with this 5 year old Severely Faded Aniline Leather Chair.

Roger,

How should i proceed with 5 year old severely faded aniline leather chairs.

They have been kept in a heated gazebo ( not sure if heat is always on, but apparently they sun gets in).

They are now also dusty, he's afraid to sit on them for fear they will crack.

Very few spots if any, but the color looks to be gone, I will send a sample but I dont have a go ahead to proceed yet.

I think they should be cleaned, rinsed relaxed, fat liquored, and re dyed.

Let me know what you think?

#1)

#2)

#3)

Yes!

All the time when we talk about restoration, we are talking about both the leather structure and the leather finishes.

The entire leather structure need to be hydrated and fatliquored otherwise “he's afraid to sit on them for fear they will crack” - and he is right!

The finishes is the next phrase where the deteriorated topcoating has to go for new dyestuff and new coating - its the aesthetic reason that include the feel, the scent and to reduce the squeak when leather rubs against itself.

So let me know if you require the procedural steps.

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Roger , I think he is almost ready to have these done let me know what procedure and dye stuff i will need.

Step 1 - Prep Cleaning:
    Sequence of process use Prep-7.7 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0
    Tools to use – Leather Eraser-4 to scrub and test the strength of the exposed finishes.
    Deteriorated old and weak finishes will not hold-up new finishes well and it is wiser to remove completely clean.
    If there is partial removal of deteriorated topcoats then Razor-60 helps to shave off the remainder topcoats for an even appearance panel easier to work on.
    Performing the stripping of the deteriorated finishes while the leather is wet makes the removal easier as the wet leather is stronger when wet and the finish are weaker. However, I think the finish may still be good (there is no need to remove unnecessary) as the picture have not shown signs of finish deterioration.

Step 2 – Leather Rejuvenating:
    Sequence of process use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Rinse-3.0
    Hydrator-3.3 is the preconditioner for the Fatliquor-5.0 as it relaxes and penetrates the leather deeper to open up the inter-fibrillary spaces within the leather structure allowing the Fatliquor-5.0 to cover more grounds.
    Without the Fatliquor, when leather is wet and dry again the fiber sticks together and stiffen up the leather as the fibrils cannot slide one against the other smoothly thus lost the suppleness and strength.
    Remember to check for strays fatliquor that remains on the leather surface that may interfere with refinishing.
    Spray Rinse-3.0 that will increase the hydrogen-bonding effect between the leather structure and the fatliquor until the surface is squeaky without the fats and oils.

Step 3 – Impregnating:
    Assuming that the finishes stay intact in Step 1, we can skip the surface repair with Impregnator-26.

Step 4 – Color Restoration:
    Matching Topcoat Aniline Dye-27 is recommended to layer up the color difference to the desired shade.

Step 5 – Top Coat Protection:
    Topcoat Aniline-79Gloss is recommended to protect the dyes.

Step 6 – Non-Stick Protection:
    Leather Scent-B is recommended, without the leather scent use Buttery Feel-76

Have you send the samples yet?

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®
    [email protected]

I sent the sample today. there are 2 chairs, loose cushions and 2 small ottomans. Do you think 1 pint of dye is enough?

“Guestimation” on product usage is trickier on absorbent aniline leathers as the coverage is unpredictable looking at pictures at this stage.

It is more accurate to “guestimate” after a good hydration and fatliquoring.

After finishing the worst piece you would know for sure how much you need for the rest.

So starting from 1 pint may be wise not to over order.

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Roger this is the chair for customer sidemark: Varon there are 2 chairs and 2 ottomans.

Have you clean it yet?

Do you have pictures to see how absorbent the faded leather is?

Roger,

We won't get the chairs until we receive the dye. The chairs were very dusty and faded, I had dust all over my clothes from getting the swatch of leather. I'm assuming some color will return just from cleaning, hydrating and fatliquoring. They are in an outdoor gazebo that is enclosed but only heated when used and no a/c in the summer, it has windows and screens.

After we receive the dye I will have the chairs brought to us, and begin the cleaning and restoration process. We'll take plenty of pictures; i think these will turn out great.

Thread Information