Thread: Topcoat treatment for black lambskin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> The edges of the bag seems dull. Do I need to apply topcoat to these areas?

Do you know why it is dull?

>>> Do you suggest a topcoat for the whole bag is necessary? Or fatliquor will be sufficient?

Do you know why you need the topcoat?

Do you know why you need the faliquor?

Do you know the holistic process of topcoat?

Do you know the fatliquoring process?

Do you know if you have prepared the surface good enough for topcoating?
    Roger, this is a vintage bag which was painted by a previous owner. I have removed the paint using nail polish remover. I have explained this in my first post. This is not the bag with the wax issue. So the dullness is obviously due to the acetone and rubbing.

Since you have suggested that the topcoat may be weak (like in a vintage bag), that topcoat probably came off. I’ve used the eraser but I think it will damage the bag further. I’ll proceed with rinse, hydrator, fatliquor etc. Is a topcoat required at the end? I suppose it is, if the surface has been damaged by the rubbing.

>>> Is a topcoat required at the end?

Do you know why you need the topcoat for?

>>> I think it will damage the bag further.

How damaged is damaged, and there are degrees of damages that are repaired by Bond-3D, Adhesor-73, and Aniline76G - you will need to test them out to your satisfaction.

TEST, TEST, and TEST

>>> Is a topcoat required at the end?

Do you know why you need the topcoat for?

>>> I think it will damage the bag further.

How damaged is damaged, and there are degrees of damages that are repaired by Bond-3D, Adhesor-73, and Aniline76G - you will need to test them out to your satisfaction.

TEST, TEST, and TEST
    Name:  BB62BAA6-C500-44CA-B261-3DC548152234.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  86.1 KB

Ive circled the patches that have appeared. Please know that this is a vintage bag which has not been conditioned after being repainted (thick acrylic paint). The edges of the flap are dry and the topcoat seems to have been damaged. There’s tiny flakes coming off the surface. The topcoat would seal the surface to make it waterproof, as a finish would.

>>> Please know that this is a vintage bag which has not been conditioned after being repainted (thick acrylic paint).

OK, it is the thick acrylic paint that has peel in the circle areas.

You will need to get back the acrylic paint to make that repair.

With thick acrylic paint, your lamb skin is no more original.

The original finish is an aniline finish.

The repaint becomes a pigmented finish.

So please know what you want.

To refinish back to your original lambskin you will need to strip off all the incompatible “thick acrylic paint”

In leather finishes, "aniline" is a transparent dyestuff finish just like "varnishing on a musical instrument - that comes with the beauty of depth.

"Pigmented" leather finishes are what the current finish is, that is opaque that block out the beauty of the grains and also to hide some blemishes if there are, and it will look like any painted surface like a mono-tone wooden door.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 02-10-2021 at 05:14 PM.

>>> Please know that this is a vintage bag which has not been conditioned after being repainted (thick acrylic paint).

OK, it is the thick acrylic paint that has peel in the circle areas.

You will need to get back the acrylic paint to make that repair.

With thick acrylic paint, your lamb skin is no more original.

The original finish is an aniline finish.

The repaint becomes a pigmented finish.

So please know what you want.

To refinish back to your original lambskin you will need to strip off all the incompatible “thick acrylic paint”

In leather finishes, "aniline" is a transparent dyestuff finish just like "varnishing on a musical instrument - that comes with the beauty of depth.

"Pigmented" leather finishes are what the current finish is, that is opaque that block out the beauty of the grains and also to hide some blemishes if there are, and it will look like any painted surface like a mono-tone wooden door.
    Of course I want an aniline finish. Don’t think the circled areas are the peeling paint but peeling original topcoat, because most of the paint has already been removed with acetone. The feeling of the diamonds is almost like the original finish. Shall I use the top coat on the dull edges?

>>> Don’t think the circled areas are the peeling paint but peeling original topcoat, because most of the paint has already been removed with acetone.

I do not think so.

I recommend that you send it back to the person that does it for you to remove it completely.

>>> The feeling of the diamonds is almost like the original finish

Bring back your bag to where you have bought it and compare it with the original.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 02-10-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Hi Roger, could you confirm that the amounts in each bottle is correct, before I add distilled water?
    Rinse 35g
    Acidifier 41g
    Hydrator 42g
    Fatliquor 74g
    Aniline Top coat 111g
    Protector 45g

Name:  23A5F47C-8ECC-4604-A6EF-455047F6B0EE.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  75.7 KBName:  C284D6F3-086B-4A19-9584-56D98C314D87.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  49.5 KBName:  9014FCD5-62E1-47AC-803E-F8CC4B56BBF9.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  52.8 KBName:  99135E6E-7611-4DC8-9528-3D32A9AEE671.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  52.0 KBName:  80330832-F44C-4917-AA66-F16AF5C6D49C.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  48.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by baglover; 02-14-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information