Thread: Restoring cat-scratched vintage leather chair

Default Restoring cat-scratched vintage leather chair

Hi Roger, I’ve been using your products for years on my Restoration Hardware aniline pull-up wax sofas. I was telling my Mom about them and she asked for advice on what product to use in restoring my Dad’s leather recliner. The recliner is 27 years old, pigmented soft leather (I’d call it a blue green). Neither of us are sure if it is vegetable tanned or other. It has never been conditioned and as you can see there are a few issues - dye fading from light exposure (?) in some places and lots of cat scratches, I imagine it also needs a fair amount of Hydrator. Could you advise how to treat it? The best representation of the color are in the photos of the cat scratches by the leg - a deep blue-green.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

My Mom says the original color was a deep green - similar to “British racing green” on a car. Closest in the photos is the left hand portion of question four.

This is chrome-tanned leathers, If you can see the reverse suede side that it is also green, it means that the leather is aniline dye through. Whether there is a micro-pigment that covers imperfection, we can’t tell. But after a restoration cleaning and hydrating with Hydrator-3.3 and followed with Fatliquor-5.0 before it dries, you will see a great improvement of color coming back. The cat scratch can be repaired with Bond-3D.

https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathe...e-care-kit-a3/
    Name:  Kit_A3__84448.1452629154.220.290.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  19.2 KB

https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leatherbond-3d-1/
    Name:  Bond-3D__71951.1501965178.220.290.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  13.3 KB

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

There are many products that can greatly help in restoring your furniture. For your Dad's leather recliner, I suggest try using Leather Care Kit available that comes with a cleaner, conditioner, and protector. It is designed to restore and protect vintage leather pieces and bring back their original beauty.

Thread Information