Thread: 2006 King Ranch f250 seat restoration

Exclamation 2006 King Ranch f250 seat restoration

REPOSTING BECAUSE I DID NOT SEE MY THREAD GO THROUGH: Hey everyone, in need of some help here. The previous owner must have never conditioned or taken care of these seats. When I had bought the truck I remember they looked and felt like parchment paper they were so dried out. But they didn't have any rips or tears thank goodness. I began experimenting with different conditioners not knowing how picky these seats are. I have tried King Ranch shop's conditioner, Leather CPR, Lexol Darker leather conditioner (which darkened them too much unfortunately) Lexol light leather conditioner with neatsfoot oil (which is my go to currently), 100% pure neatsfoot oil (which also darkened them too much on the the front seats) Chemical guys leather conditioner, Meguiars rich leather conditioner, and lastly lexol leather cleaner. None have kept the seats moisturized for very long, soft, protected, or restored the original factory sheen and color. So I am at a loss as to what kit to use on the site for my seats and how much I will need. It also seems very in depth, are their step by step instructions included? *please note in the pictures sent, they had been recently conditioned* they are now dry again and feel rough once more as we speak.Name:  20200923_151715.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  77.0 KB Name:  20200923_151739.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  62.1 KB Name:  20200923_151723.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  49.9 KB Name:  20200923_151704.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  49.0 KB Name:  20200923_151828.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  61.1 KB
    Last edited by King Ranch Leather Resto; 09-25-2020 at 05:10 AM. Reason: King Ranch

Thank you for posting, and we will discuss . . .

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

>>> The previous owner must have never conditioned or taken care of these seats. When I had bought the truck I remember they looked and felt like parchment paper they were so dried out.

The question is ‘what’ dried out?
    The answer is the original fatliquor (fat and oil content).
    How much is this fat and oil content, and the answer is average 15% for a vegetable-tanned leather in today's modern tannery standard.

How does the leather dry its fatliquor content, the answer is through evaporation as fatliquor is a VOC (volatile organic compound). And also by leaching or breaking its hydrogen bond with the protein fiber. So any liquid that is alkaline or sweat when ferments turns alkaline will have the side effect of darkening and cracking it. Remember that leather has a pH value of average 3, and veg-tan leathers are more acidic than chrome-tanned leathers. Veg-tanned leathers are also more fatliquor thirsty than chrome-tanned leathers.

>>> I began experimenting with different conditioners not knowing how picky these seats are. I have tried King Ranch shop's conditioner, Leather CPR, Lexol Darker leather conditioner (which darkened them too much unfortunately) Lexol light leather conditioner with neatsfoot oil (which is my go to currently), 100% pure neatsfoot oil (which also darkened them too much on the the front seats) Chemical guys leather conditioner, Meguiars rich leather conditioner, and lastly lexol leather cleaner. None have kept the seats moisturized for very long, soft, protected, or restored the original factory sheen and color.

Conditioners are just like ‘insurance’ there are many types with different purposes. Specifically, we have to look at the original fatliquor used in today's modern tannery to replenish the diminishing fatliquor content. Just like our modern different car oil formulated for engine, transmission, brakes are not the same. So without the original fatliquor conditioner, the leather will not ever be supple again. Leather protein fibers are ionic positive +ve charged and fatliquor is ionic negative -ve charged. So it works by hydrogen bonding which is pH sensitive. Other leather conditioner works by stuffing into the leather structure and either leaching oil and clogs all the breathing pores to give you the oily darkening effect.

Let us pause awhile, and if you have any questions before I share with you how to condition the leather structure (thickness) to rejuvenate the suppleness.

I will also explain how you can remove the unwanted darkening stuffing oil.

I will also explain how to lighten it by redox (reduction-oxidation) chemical process, and other issues if you are following.

Awesome, thank you Roger for breaking that down for me. Makes a lot more sense now. So what would kit would you recommend for me to use and are step by step directions included in the kit in order to make sure I am carrying out the process correctly? So in order to remove the stuffing oil and rejuvenate the fatliquor and then ultimately maintain it for years to come what kit would be my best option? Thank you for your help!

>>> So in order to remove the stuffing oil

To remove the stuffing oils you will need Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 as rinse and charging the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve).

>>> and rejuvenate the fatliquor

Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 is a combination system that will relax and open up the stick together leather fibril system. The Hydrator-3.3 function is to soften up the leather and make it stretchable back to the original dimension. And before it dries (maintaining about 25% of water content), it is time to replenish the Fatliquor-5.0. Fatliquor-5.0 is 5 parts water and 1 part fat and oil. The fat and oil is encased in the molecule of water droplet and when hydrogen will break free the water content to evaporate through the leather surface. While still maintaining some 25% of water content, Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished, and this is repeated a few times, depending on how thirsty the leather is of the fat and oil. It will come to a saturation point where it just stays on the surface and refuses to be absorbed further. The Fatliquor-5.0 is meant for the internal leather structure and any sticky residue is further removed with Hydrator-3.3 until the surface water contents remain clear. And the leather is left for a very slow drying. As the leather is almost dry, massaging will help to make the leather more supple. And when suppleness is satisfied, or to repeat the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 process again. When the suppleness is satisfied, the appearance can be work on with redox (reduction-oxidation) process with
    Vachetta-2.8 to lighten up some lightening effect and also even out any blotchy discoloration.

What I have described above is the degreasing, fatliquoring, and redox process.

These systems are modular, and if you have any questions on these three topics before we go further.

When you decide what you want to accomplish, I will then recommend the appropriate kit for you.

Perfect that all makes sense. I would love to de-grease the seats and remove all the previous conditioning I have attempted and start fresh and then restore the fatliquor content, lighten the seats up a little bit and then maintain the restored look. Let me what recommended kit I should purchase. Thank you Roger!

Take a look at this Matrix for King Ranch leathers

#Problem Solving Matrix for King Ranch Leathers.
    Name:  aniline-a.k-2-king-ranch-leathers.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  164.8 KB

If you see the “STAIN TYPE” B1 and follow the steps, 1& 2, this combination process is for degreasing ‘Penetrated Oil and Grease’ (products required are Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0)

To restore the fatliquor content see “STRUCTURE PROBLEM” F1. This combination is again steps, 1 & 2 for leather “Dryness and Stiffness”, with (products required are Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0)

On the Finish Problem to get rid of the “Patina or Darkening” the Effect will nee steps 1 & 2 (products required are Vachetta-2.8 > Acidifier-2.0).

>>> Let me what recommended kit I should purchase.
    The recommended kit is King Ranch Top Coat Refinishing Kit-K7.tc
    Name:  Kit-K7.tc-F.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  17.8 KB
    Link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/king-ra...ing-kit-k7-tc/

For the Darkening effect, you will need this Vachetta-2.8 from this link
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachett...remover-2-8-1/
    # Name:  Vachetta-2.8 250F.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  32.0 KB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 09-27-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks Roger! I will be ordering these in the coming weeks when I have some more time away from work. Is this kit enough to do the front and back seats? Or should expect to order refills etc. ?

>>> Is this kit enough to do the front and back seats?

This is only a test kit and best to experience it out on your handrest until you are confident of the entire process to your satisfaction. You will also know how much these products can cover and know approximately how much you will need to finish your project.

>>> Or should expect to order refills etc. ?

Yes, individual products are available as refills.

Thread Information