Thread: Restoration Hardware Lancaster Couch: excess waxiness from EffectWax-8.6?

Default Restoration Hardware Lancaster Couch: excess waxiness from EffectWax-8.6?

Hi,

I had bought the Aw3 kit and followed the instructions all the way through for Restorative Care. I am not using AnilineTop76.

When I reach the Wax Effect Rejuvenating step, I applied the EffectWax-8.6, let it sit overnight (about 16-ish hours), and then applied heat with a heat gun (very hot air, would burn my fingers in a couple of seconds if I held it in front). I can literally see the wax melt before my eyes. However, after again waiting for several hours to make sure the wax has cooled I see that there's still significant waxiness on the surface. For example, if I just swipe my finger across the surface I can see it smudge and I can feel it on my fingers. It seems to be even worse if I try applying Protector-D at this point: when I wipe with a paper towel, the waxiness clumps into little bitsies.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? How intensely do I need to apply heat for the waxiness to sink into the couch? I'm worried that I might burn the leather if I let it heat too long.

>>> Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Without any pictures, I am thinking that the leather in question may not be a "Wax Pull-up" type.

Please show some pictures to help identify it.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

I don't have many pictures, but this is a picture of one of the leather couch sections:

Name:  couch.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  54.4 KB

It's a Restoration Hardware Lancaster Sectional, which to my understanding should be a wax pull-up type.

>>> Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? How intensely do I need to apply heat for the waxiness to sink into the couch? I'm worried that I might burn the leather if I let it heat too long.

A heat gun is very risky to cook your leather, I used a hairdryer!

>>> Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

You may describe in detail each step if you are doing it wrong.

You may take a video and show it if you are doing it right.

You may have an hour of online coaching to make sure you do it right the first time.

I can do it for you if you are in my geographical area.

>>> It seems to be even worse if I try applying Protector-D at this point: when I wipe with a paper towel, the waxiness clumps into little bitsies.

Try to apply EffectWax-8.6 on a reverse clean side for a test (I suspect there may have some foreign residue that may be the cause for the reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> It seems to be even worse if I try applying Protector-D at this point: when I wipe with a paper towel, the waxiness clumps into little bitsies.

Try to apply EffectWax-8.6 on a reverse clean side for a test (I suspect there may have some foreign residue that may be the cause for the reason).
    So I should try applying EffectWax-8.6 onto this surface? Just by itself and then apply lowest-setting heat gun?

Name:  IMG_20200601_155813.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  59.9 KB

I can describe in detail exactly what I did for the entire process:

I applied Prep 4.4 with a horsehair brush-1. I waited 30 minutes for it to dry. I then sprayed Clean-3.8 and immediately wiped with paper towel. I then sprayed Rinse-3.0 and then wiped clean again with a paper towel.

I then sprayed Hydrator-3.3 and distributed it with a foam brush. I used plastic cling wrap and covered the leather area and left it to sit for 24 hours.

After waiting 24 hours, I removed the plastic cling wrap and let it air dry for 30 minutes. I then warmed up the Fatliquor-5.0 in warm water until warm to the touch and sprayed it on all surfaces. After I was done spraying one time, I went back and resprayed all of them again. I let it all dry for about 30 minutes before spraying Hydrator-3.3 and wiping with a paper towel to remove parts that seemed sticky.

I then waited about 24 hours (wasn't able to do it in one sitting), and then warmed up EffectWax-8.6 in warm water. I sprayed very generously with EffectWax-8.6 (you could see the liquid pool) and spread the wax using the same horsehair brush-1 used for Prep-4.4. I then waited 24 hours to let the wax dry. Afterwards, I used a heatgun set to a pretty high setting to slowly melt all of the wax that I could see on the surface. After it is all cool and seemingly dried, I sprayed Protector-D lightly and used a paper towel to wipe off the surface.

Please let me know if any of these steps were incorrect (perhaps using the same horsehair brush was wrong?).

>>> So I should try applying EffectWax-8.6 onto this surface? Just by itself and then apply lowest-setting heat gun?

Yes, try it and let's compare the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> So I should try applying EffectWax-8.6 onto this surface? Just by itself and then apply lowest-setting heat gun?

Yes, try it and let's compare the result.
    Below is what the surface looks like initially:
    Name:  1 - lHAzFuW.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  60.8 KB

After spraying EffectWax-8.6:
    Name:  2 - 4OkltvI.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  69.9 KB

After brushing and distributing with horse-hair brush:
    Name:  3 - ry0UGTB.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  74.5 KB

After letting wax dry over about 24 hours:
    Name:  4 - PEP3FRY.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  74.3 KB

After applying low-ish heat from heat-gun:
    Name:  5 - Z5k1ayP.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  63.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My friend, test on the strip of leather (why on the suede)?

Do. you need an online "skype" coaching?

It's US$99 an hour if you book a slot with me to: [email protected]

Apologies, I definitely didn't understand the original instructions. Here it is applied to the pull-up leather on the inside:

Before applying anything:

After spraying:

After brushing with horse-hair brush:

After letting dry for 24 hours:

After using heat-gun on lower-heat:

In the last image it's become fairly shiny, and when I rub my finger over it I can feel some slight friction from what feels like a little waxiness on the surface.

>>> In the last image it's become fairly shiny, and when I rub my finger over it I can feel some slight friction from what feels like a little waxiness on the surface.

You got it right now!

Any questions you may have why you were not having it right the first time?

I have no idea, I did exactly the same thing in the same order.

Now that the couch still has the "extra waxiness" on the surface, how do you recommend fixing it? Heating it with the heat gun doesn't seem to make it go away, so I wonder what's the recommended way to remove the extra waxiness?

I believe it was the cleaning residue left behind not thoroughly rinse off that became the issue. You may start all over again to remove the “extra waxiness” with Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 (make sure all residue of Prep-4.4 and Clean-3.8 is removed off with Rinse-3.0), proceed with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 let it dry then Proceed with WaxEffect-8.6.

Thread Information