Thread: Restoration Hardware Lancaster Couch: excess waxiness from EffectWax-8.6?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Restoration Hardware Lancaster Couch: excess waxiness from EffectWax-8.6?

Hi,

I had bought the Aw3 kit and followed the instructions all the way through for Restorative Care. I am not using AnilineTop76.

When I reach the Wax Effect Rejuvenating step, I applied the EffectWax-8.6, let it sit overnight (about 16-ish hours), and then applied heat with a heat gun (very hot air, would burn my fingers in a couple of seconds if I held it in front). I can literally see the wax melt before my eyes. However, after again waiting for several hours to make sure the wax has cooled I see that there's still significant waxiness on the surface. For example, if I just swipe my finger across the surface I can see it smudge and I can feel it on my fingers. It seems to be even worse if I try applying Protector-D at this point: when I wipe with a paper towel, the waxiness clumps into little bitsies.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? How intensely do I need to apply heat for the waxiness to sink into the couch? I'm worried that I might burn the leather if I let it heat too long.

>>> Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Without any pictures, I am thinking that the leather in question may not be a "Wax Pull-up" type.

Please show some pictures to help identify it.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

I don't have many pictures, but this is a picture of one of the leather couch sections:

Name:  couch.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  54.4 KB

It's a Restoration Hardware Lancaster Sectional, which to my understanding should be a wax pull-up type.

>>> Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? How intensely do I need to apply heat for the waxiness to sink into the couch? I'm worried that I might burn the leather if I let it heat too long.

A heat gun is very risky to cook your leather, I used a hairdryer!

>>> Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

You may describe in detail each step if you are doing it wrong.

You may take a video and show it if you are doing it right.

You may have an hour of online coaching to make sure you do it right the first time.

I can do it for you if you are in my geographical area.

>>> It seems to be even worse if I try applying Protector-D at this point: when I wipe with a paper towel, the waxiness clumps into little bitsies.

Try to apply EffectWax-8.6 on a reverse clean side for a test (I suspect there may have some foreign residue that may be the cause for the reason).

Thread Information