Thread: Repair Damaged/Worn Leather Sofa Cushions

Default Repair Damaged/Worn Leather Sofa Cushions

Hello Roger,

I am looking for some guidance on how to repair and suggestions for products to purchase and use to restore the cushions on my leather couch. I sent you pictures: 1. of the type of damage I am dealing with 2. the back side of the cushions for identification purposes and 3. & 4. what the leather looks like on areas of the sofa that are not damaged.

The cushions in question, feel a little rough like there are lifted fibers(or something).

I appreciate your help!

Samantha
    Attached Images Attached Images     

>>> 1. of the type of damage I am dealing with

The entire Restorative Cleaning, Repair and Refinishing steps made simple is as follows:

Step1 - Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system - this process will remove surface soiling contamination and pH balancing the leather protein fiber ionic positive (+ve).

Step2 - Leather structural rejuvenating and conditioning with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system - An effective Hydrator-3.3 will relax the leather structure and also release some of the existing dorman dyestuffs from the suede side to the surface so that less micro pigment is needed as this dye through to the suede side suggest “semi-aniline”. Fatliquor-5.0 replenishes the lost fat and oil content to return suppleness to the leather for added strength from dry rotting. Original tannery fatliquor content averages 14%. Most likely more than 50% already dries up (only can be confirmed with a leather moisture meter), otherwise, it is still a wild guess.

Step3 - Dry preparation process is to remove deteriorating finishes to the leather crust and this is done with sanding with 1000grit to 1500grit oscillating sander. Sanding the crust is avoided as it opens up unnecessary porosity and open fibers. Besides removing the aged and deteriorating finishes “The cushions in question, feel a little rough like there are lifted fibers(or something).” is accomplished at this Step3.

Step4 - Leather structural strengthening is by means of Impregnator-26 - The leather impregnator impregnates the weakening inter-fibrillary spaces to add strength and stability to the leather dimension.

Step5 - Leather cracks and split repairs are done with Leather Bond-3D - The leather bond becomes part of leather and retains its flexibility to a degree. It will require a number of filling to top it up. Otherwise, Stucco-90 with more solid may be added to the Bond-3D for easier fill up with a little compromising on flex strength. Pigment coloring may also be added to the last one or two fillings to level up. Bond-7A is used to soften up Bond-3D and smoothen it without the need for sanding.

Step6 - Leather surface porosity or roughness of the grains is smoothened in this step to achieve a smooth feel to the touch using Adhesor-73.

Step7 - Micro-54 matching color is applied with airbrushing to deliver an even spray without drips. Thickener-48 helps to control the stability of the spray with better control of the spray application. A few light coatings are better than a heavy coating to achieve the desired result.

Step8 - MicroTop-54 seals the color coating with a choice of luster to match, gloss, satin or matte accordingly.

Step9 - Protector-B+ imparts a buttery-feel to the touch that also reduces friction rubs and sticky soiling.

So the above is the sequence of steps to accomplish and match the desired original finishing.

You may look into this Kit-Sa7.cl
    Name:  Kit-Sa7.cl__80782.1553652954.220.290.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  17.8 KB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-sa7...finishing-kit/

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for the reply. Do you have any video tutorials of the various processes. I want to make sure I carry out each process correctly. I am afraid causing further damage.

Thank you,
    Samantha

>>> Do you have any video tutorials of the various processes.

We offer online coaching for US$99 an hour to make sure you get it right the first time.

>>>I want to make sure I carry out each process correctly.

You may do some practice to ensure you are comfortable before the actual application.

>>> I am afraid causing further damage.

Unlikely there is any further damage as all these are leather-safe products system that eliminate side effects.

Thread Information