Thread: Vintage beige chanel -peeling dye?

Default Vintage beige chanel -peeling dye?

Hi Roger,
    I prepped this vintage Chanel for Hydrator by taping the area around the metals with scotch tape.
    The dye somehow peeled off when i lifted the tape prior to Fatliquoring.
    Is this normal? Should i not have used scotch tape? What are your thoughts?
    Also there is peeling in the inside of the bag. How do I repair this?
    Am holding off ordering the other items for my black bag so i can include your suggestions with my next shipment.
    Photos attached.
    Thank you in advance. I appreciate your feedback.
    Joji
    Attached Images Attached Images      

>>> The dye somehow peeled off when i lifted the tape

This peeling is often associated with pigment coating and this bag has been pigment coated. To pass a scotch-tape test, Adhesor-73 is first applied to seal for better adhesion prior to pigment coating.

>>> Is this normal?

Peeling with a scotch-tape is a test by itself on how strong the pigment adhesion is.

>>> Should i not have used scotch tape?
    Only use scotch-tape to do a test.

>>> What are your thoughts?
    Poor Adhesion. Always used coating dyestuff like Aniline-76 instead of pigment coating.

>>> Also there is peeling in the inside of the bag. How do I repair this?
    Weak leather grains will peel easily. The structural strength has to be increased with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system to reduce dry rotting. Adhesor-73 is the adhesion promoter prior to preferred Dye coating than pigment coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> The dye somehow peeled off when i lifted the tape

This peeling is often associated with pigment coating and this bag has been pigment coated. To pass a scotch-tape test, Adhesor-73 is first applied to seal for better adhesion prior to pigment coating.

>>> Is this normal?

Peeling with a scotch-tape is a test by itself on how strong the pigment adhesion is.

>>> Should i not have used scotch tape?
    Only use scotch-tape to do a test

>>> What are your thoughts?
    Poor Adhesion. Always used coating dyestuff like Aniline-76 instead of pigment coating.

>>> Also there is peeling in the inside of the bag. How do I repair this?
    Weak leather grains will peel easily. The structural strength has to be increased with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system to reduce dry rotting. Adhesor-73 is the adhesion promoter prior to preferred Dye coating than pigment coating.

Hi Roger,
    Can i just use the aniline dye to touch up the area without stripping the whole bag?
    Thanks

>>> Can i just use the aniline dye to touch up the area without stripping the whole bag?

No! The color would not match. You have to do some light leather preparation with sandpaper to smooth out the edges, seal with Adhesor-73, then use the same coloring product to do the touch-up. When it looks evenly matched, seal with MicroTop-54 gloss, satin or matte luster to match. Any Fatliquor-5.0 residue left on the surface will also reduce color coating adhesion. To remove Fatliquor-5.0 surface residue use Hydrator-3.3.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information