Thread: Coconut Oil on Full Aniline

Default Coconut Oil on Full Aniline

I spilled some coconut oil on my full Aniline couch. I applied cornstarch on top of the stain in the hopes that it would pull the oil out of the leather.

You advised on the phone that was a bad idea and post any pictures before I go any further.

Here are the pictures. I do have a vaccum with a full horse hair brush which I could use to try and remove as much of the cornstarch as possible.

I have also ordered the full aniline kit

Here is the full description of the leather from Restoration hardware:

"
    Cavalo Leather is the finest top-grain full aniline leather and has a distinctive natural look which accentuates its characteristics. It is completely hand finished, extremely smooth and buttery soft to the touch. With Age it becomes softer and more supple. Color variations and textures add to its beauty. "
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I carefully brushed off the cornstarch. It came off very easily and was still mostly dry. The one spot on the right is 90 % gone. The left spot is still very dark and has soaked thru the leather. see pictures.
    Name:  20200307_185508.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  59.6 KBName:  20200307_185444.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  68.0 KB

Can you update this thread with how to proceed. My kit should arrive tomorrow and I want to get started on this.

Step-1 - Remove all cornstarch gently with LeatherBrush-1.

Step-2 - De-grease from suede side with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system. Tools to use SuedeSplitBrush3, SuedeEraser-5 and terry cotton towels.

Step-3 - Apply Degreaser-2.2 to the center of the stain and work out with the detailing suede brush and SuedeEraser-5.

Step-4 - Towel extract and repeat Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

Step-5 - Let natural dry and inspect the lightening of the oil stain, otherwise repeat Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system and towel extract for dry inspection again.

You may show some pictures of your progress and we will continue accordingly.

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Finally recieved my order yesterday.

used degreaser on suede side, rubbed it in with brush let it sit for about 20 min the rinsed with acidifier. After letting it dry the larger stain appeared better, but had a small section (dime size) remaining.

I then did another degreaser application to both sides of the larger stain and let it dry. I did not do a second application to the smaller stain

Can you advise to next steps?

Picture 1 (larger stain on left)

Name:  20200318_102802.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  63.3 KB

Picture 2 Suede side (larger stain on left)

Name:  20200318_102723.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  133.8 KB

>>> Can you advise to next steps?

Proceed with Hydrator-3.3 on the grain side - soak and extract. To avoid rings wet out the entire surface without a dry edge. Part two is C4 to C7 with a combination with Fatliquor-5.0.

Online video instruction is available @ US$99 an hour to work on time with you.

This section is copy and pastes from https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leatherhydrator-3-3-1/

C - Structural Cleaning: Structural cleaning is cleaning penetrated soiling or foreign contamination from below the surface. This process includes the following steps -
    Instruction . . .
    C1- The leather is hydrated with LeatherHydrator-3.3, depending on severity up to 72hours dwelling is recommended to move the soiling upwards.
    C2- To maintain a consistent moisture level, the leather in question may be sealed in container or plastic wrapping with a periodic inspection to top up LeatherHydrator-3.3.
    C3- The suspended soiling is extracted by squeezing between an absorbent towel and a smooth spatula to reduce abrasion until the towel shows clean.

Part Two

C4- Fatliquoring continues and is repeated with each almost drying cycle until saturation and is left to slow natural drying.
    C5- Fat Liquored dried surface residue is driven into the leather structure by brushing in conjunction with LeatherHydrator-3.3 until milky residue if any turns crystal clear.
    C6- Surface clear moisture is extracted with a cotton towel until the towel shows dry.
    C7- Staking, stretching, massaging or cross flexing one more time before the leather is completely dried for the desired suppleness.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-18-2020 at 10:07 AM.

HELP! I dont have near enough hydrator to saturate this panel. As I told you previously it is 34 inches by 34 inches.

I just tried to saturate it and used 75% of the 250ml of hydrator already!! I applied a misting to the entire surface but it is defintely not fully saturated!

I stopped applying it and covered it in plastic because I see I need it in future steps. I do not have the option of purchasing more product as I have a customer that wants this piece on Monday.

How do I proceed?

Roger,

I didnt hear from you. I didnt know how to proceed without enough hydrator. to saturate so....

I let the hydrator sit for about 3 or 4 hours and then atempted C4-C7, but again... not enough fatliquor. (frustrating since I asked if this was going to be enough product to repair this panel)
    I used all of the fatliquor (250ML) and it was only about 75% saturated.
    I couldnt do C5 or C6 because I didnt have enough product.

After 12 hours of drying here is what I have. It is not yet completely dry but close.

How do I proceed? is there any way to adress the light spot, dark spot. I am frustrated that I didnt have enough product to follow the system especially after I asked if I needed to purchase extra. I have a customer coming to pick this up on Monday!

Name:  20200319_083121.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  20200319_083154.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  38.7 KB

>>> I didnt hear from you.

Immediate attention by online conferencing is available @ US$99/- an hour to walk you through as an option. Email [email protected] if you want to book an appointment.

>>> I didnt know how to proceed without enough hydrator. to saturate so....

Use distilled water to help saturate it out as an option.

>>> I let the hydrator sit for about 3 or 4 hours and then atempted C4-C7, but again... not enough fatliquor. (frustrating since I asked if this was going to be enough product to repair this panel)
    I used all of the fatliquor (250ML) and it was only about 75% saturated.
    I couldnt do C5 or C6 because I didnt have enough product.

Use distilled water to help saturate it as an option.

>>> After 12 hours of drying here is what I have. It is not yet completely dry but close. How do I proceed? is there any way to adress the light spot, dark spot. I am frustrated that I didnt have enough product to follow the system especially after I asked if I needed to purchase extra. I have a customer coming to pick this up on Monday!

Apply distilled water and manipulate the surrounding leather allowing the migrating constituents to redistribute over the spots to equalized liquid content differences.
    Make sure the leather is wet out with moisture oozing out when pressed with fingers and any foreign soiling is towel extracted until towel shows clean.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.

I have it full saturated with distilled water(dripping) and manipulated it significantly. The area still appears much lighter than the surrouding area the white spot appears a bit milky, but wipes clean. If also feels a bit slimy compared to everything else, but less so this morning after being soaked for almost 24 hours

advice? should I continue to manipulate and saturate? how do I even out this color?

You cant tell by the picture but it is very very wet

Name:  20200319_161833.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  34.0 KB
    Last edited by Zander; 03-20-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Use a big coin or spoon and squeeze the surrounding liquid from the suede side over the spot . . . to equalize color differences.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-20-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Thread Information