Thread: Newish Aniline RH cloud couch cleaning, maintenance and care

Default Newish Aniline RH cloud couch cleaning, maintenance and care

Hi,

New to the forum. I just purchased a floor model leather sectional from Restoration Hardware. The couch was a floor model for about 6 months. Overall it is in good condition with some minor scuffs. It was a bit dusty and I gave it a quick wipe off with a slightly damp microfiber towel.

I would like advice on how to clean and care for it. I was told it is Italian Aniline leather and treated with wax. Should I give it a good cleaning? Treatment with anything? Anything I can do provide protection? The leather is incredibly soft and smooth and I would like to keep it that way.

any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!!

Name:  20200216_133004.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  61.6 KBName:  20200216_132911.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  50.9 KBName:  20200216_132906.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  40.2 KBName:  20200216_132946.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  60.8 KB

>>> I was told it is Italian Aniline leather and treated with wax.
    So a waxed treated aniline leather is also known as “Aniline Wax Pull-up” leather.

What is aniline leather?
    An aniline leather is talking about the transparent coloring that decides the coloring of the leather.
    It is in the leather itself through the reverse suede side, unlike pigmented or opaque color coating its only on the surfacing coloring.
    So to protect or seal the color from rubbing or bleeding a clear transparent topcoat is applied that also brings the beauty of the grain through.
    The down side is sun or UV fading.
    And drying up of the original fat-liquor (fat and oil) contents also diminishes its color intensity.

What is treated with wax?
    The wax treatment is the secondary leather structure conditioner, and similar to the primary fat-liquor content it also will diminish through time or aging.

So just like the fluid in our auto these two primary and secondary conditioners in the Restoration Hardware leather need periodic replenishing.

This is the recommended Kit-Aw3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/aniline...-care-kit-aw3/

Name:  Kit-Aw3__03943.1567538419.220.290.JPG
Views: 1639
Size:  22.6 KB

System Cycle of Care - Preventive > Routine > Periodic > Restorative . . .

Preventive Care:
    A non-stick, rub-resistant protection is recommended to be in place before putting the leather to daily use. Protector-D imparts a soft natural draggy-feel that enhances the leather luxuriously to the sense of touch. The non-stick surface shields the leather from sticky soiling thus prolonging the high level of appearance. Rub-resistant abilities reduce wear to the topcoat and also have properties that seal and conceal scuffing. Optional leather-scented version Protector-D+ diffuses a classic leather scent that boosts the sensuous leather more appealing to the leather lover. This protection care commences before usage and at the end of each level of routine, periodic or restorative cleaning cycle.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Apply Protector-D on dust free surface after shaking well, towel spread and is ready for use when dry.

Routine Care:
    Routine care includes procedures such as general dust cleaning, attending to spots and stains as required especially the neutralizing of sweat or perspiration stains from shifting alkaline. Thus prevents leather from tackiness. A routine non-stick rub resistant protection after neutralizing rinse helps keep leather in a more attractive and healthy state while preventing premature wears.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Spray Rinse-3.0 on a dust free surface, horsehair Brush-1 agitates and towel extract until it shows clean.
    2- When dry, apply Protector-D after shaking well, towel spread and is ready for use when dry.

Periodic Care:
    Periodic care is recommended before soiling causes damages to the finishing. This keeps leather consistently clean and healthy at all times. Body contact surfaces would require more frequent attention than non-body contact surfaces. While the headrest and armrest get the most of body oil and sweat contacts.
    Instruction . . .
    1st step – Cleaning:
    1- Spray Clean-3.8 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1; ensuring a uniform saturation application over the entire surfaces a section at a time.
    2- Towel extract until it shows clean.
    3- Remaining residues are spray rinse with Rinse-3.0 and towel extract to a squeaky-clean.
    4- Let dry and inspect for satisfaction, otherwise repeat the cleaning process as necessary or proceed to hydrating.
    2nd step – Hydrating:
    Hydrating is essential to relax unnatural creases and wrinkles. Leather shrunk and becomes stiff when the structural fibers become stick together as the fatliquor diminishes through aging or under heat over-exposure or under influence of alkaline solution. They are stretched crosswise when the leather is plump. Plumping the stiff leathers may take up to 72hrs under evaporation control. Besides, its pH value of 3.3 helps charge the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) to increase the hydrogen bonding attraction between the ionic negative (-ve) fatliquor at the molecular level.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Spray Hydrator-3.3 control and spread with a foam brush to hydrate deep into the leather thickness.
    2- Let dwell 10 to 30 minutes to break the surface tension, depending on the severity of dryness, with optional plastic cling wrapping to control evaporation for a longer dwell time up to 72hrs, to plumps the leather more effectively for ease of cross stretching unnatural creases and wrinkles.
    3rd step – Fat-liquoring:
    Fatliquor evaporates as VOC (volatile organic compound) when the temperature rises especially from exposed micro crazing and stitching rows. Periodic fatliquor (ionic negative (-ve) charged emulsion of natural fat and oil) replenishing maintains the leather’s structure integrity and pliability thus increase leather tensile strength with softness and added intensifying color richness.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Shake well, spray and brush Fatliquor-5.0 and let it penetrate deep after shaking in like manner as Hydrator-3.3 and let dry naturally.
    2- Repeat application while still damp about 25% moisture content remaining in between drying until saturated again.
    3- Leave the leather for slow natural drying for extra softness.
    4- Wipe surface strays with Hydrator-3.3 to free of sticky residue.
    4th step – Wax Effect Conditioning/Rejuvenating:
    EffectWax-8.6 rejuvenates the structural wax pull-up effect and coagulates a cloudy waxy coating on the surface to be heat activated into the characteristic glossy sheen.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Shake well, spray and brush EffectWax-8.6 with sufficient penetration or saturation for an even appearance and let to dry naturally.
    2- When fine wax crystalline forms within 8 hours or until it appear, it is thereby activated with a heat blower or hot hair dryer to convert into a natural characteristic gloss.
    5th step – Protection: 1- When dry, apply Protector-D (scentless or Protector-D+ leather-scented) after shaking well, a towel spread and is ready for use when dry.

Restorative Care:
    Restorative care is the ultimate corrective or salvage care system that removes accumulated soiling including aged conditioners to its original OEM finishes. Accumulated soiling that fills creases is often mistaken for cracks. Restorative cleaning is performed by Prep-4.4. It works by chemical reaction to emulsify soiling through its penetrating, lubricating and suspending power. Its thick as honey viscosity facilitates coating the surface for effective dwell time. Horsehair detailing Brush-1 is recommended to worked into heavily soiled areas sufficiently to avoid excessive agitation that might damage already weaken finishes, especially on heavily used areas. For extreme cases, the Prep-4.4 can stay continuous for up to 72 hours to do its work safely including ‘reverse transferring’ of unwanted dye stains from new blue jeans, newsprints and ballpoint ink.
    Instruction . . .
    1st step - Restorative Cleaning:
    1- Apply Prep-4.4 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1, ensuring a uniform application over the entire surfaces a section at a time.
    2- Allow a dwell time of 10 to 30 minutes or before it dries prior to towel extraction until it shows clean.
    3- Sticky residue is removed by Clean-3.8 with gentle brush agitation and towel extraction until it shows clean.
    4- Remaining residues are spray rinse with Rinse-3.0 and towel extract to a squeaky-clean.
    5- Let dry and inspect for satisfaction, otherwise repeat Prep-4.4 with Towel-T5 for a ‘reverse transfer for dyestuff stains, application with a longer dwell time as necessary and check for reverse transfer satisfaction.
    6- Proceed with Hydrator-3.3 after Rinse-3.0 and satisfied inspection.
    2nd step – Hydrating:
    Hydrating is essential to relax unnatural creases and wrinkles. Leather shrunk and becomes stiff when the structural fibers become stick together as the fatliquor diminishes through aging or under heat over-exposure or under influence of alkaline solution. They are stretched crosswise when the leather is plump. Plumping the stiff leathers may take up to 72hrs under evaporation control. Besides, its pH value of 3.3 helps charge the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) to increase the hydrogen bonding attraction between the ionic negative (-ve) fatliquor at the molecular level.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Spray Hydrator-3.3 control and spread with a foam brush to hydrate deep into the leather thickness.
    2- Let dwell 10 to 30 minutes to break surface tension, depending on severity of dryness, with optional plastic cling wrapping to control evaporation for a longer dwell time up to 72hrs, to plumps the leather more effectively for ease of cross stretching unnatural creases and wrinkles.
    3rd step – Fatliquoring:
    Fatliquor evaporates as VOC (volatile organic compound) when temperature rises especially from exposed micro crazing and stitching rows. Periodic fatliquor (ionic negative (-ve) charged emulsion of natural fat and oil) replenishing maintains the leather’s structure integrity and pliability thus increase leather tensile strength with softness and added intensifying color richness.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Spray Fatliquor-5.0 after shaking in like manner as Hydrator-3.3 and let dry naturally.
    2- Repeat application while still damp about 25% moisture content remaining in between drying until saturated again.
    3- Leave the leather for slow natural drying for extra softness.
    4- Wipe surface strays with Hydrator-3.3 to free of sticky residue.
    4th step – Wax Effect Rejuvenating:
    EffectWax-8.6 rejuvenates the structural wax pull-up effect and coagulates a cloudy waxy coating on the surface to be heat activated into the characteristic glossy sheen.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Shake well, spray and brush EffectWax-8.6 with sufficient penetration or saturation for an even appearance and let dry naturally.
    2- When fine wax crystalline forms within 8 hours or until it appear, it is thereby activated with a heat blower or hot hair dryer to convert into a natural characteristic gloss.
    5th step – Top Coating (optional):
    AnilineTop76G is applied accordingly to achieved or match the desired gloss level.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Shake well and apply with bristle or foam brush with the lightest touch to reduce streaking.
    2- Complete dry between each coating with the help of dryer and using a new brush will reduce streaking as well.
    6th step – Protection:
    Instruction . . .
    1- When dry, apply Protector-D after shaking well, towel spread and is ready for use when dry.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 02-17-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Thank you,

based on the pictures and knowledge that this was a floor model for 6 months would you recommend periodic or routine care at this point? How do you determine which is appropriate?

is one kit sufficient for the periodic care? This couch is approximately 11 feet by 11 feet( L shape sectional)

Thanks again

>>> based on the pictures and knowledge that this was a floor model for 6 months would you recommend periodic or routine care at this point?

I recommend Periodic Care

>>> How do you determine which is appropriate?

The leather structure will need conditioning both the primary fat-liquor and the secondary pull-up effect.
    When we say a leather is new, it means after the leather is just taken or removed to store. It will depend on how long it sits in the tannery, until it is shipped to the upholstery manufacturer, then it is made into your leather couch and again is shipped to the showroom or store. So the couch you have is more than 6 months old from the tannery.
    So the only technical determination is to read the fat-liquor content with a leather moisture meter. The tannery measurement is average 15%. So any difference from the reading will need to top-up to the original 15%.

>>> is one kit sufficient for periodic care? This couch is approximately 11 feet by 11 feet( L shape sectional)

All kits are just a system kit and refills are individually ordered to finish the project.

Tips: test out a cushion to determine how much it used and you can estimate how much more you need to finish the rest.

Read more details about the very important primary conditioner.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leatherfatliquor-5-0-1/

Instruction on the secondary conditoner
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/effectwax-8-6/

Note:
    All the Restoration Hardware questions and answers are found in this forum:
    https://www.leathercleaningrestorati...holstery-Forum

Thanks again,

I moved this to the correct forum. I just noticed the product matrix found on several posts. That is very helpful. is there one for Aniline wax pull-up with a satin finish? I dont think mine would be glossy, but that is all I have found?

also I understand the Kit is just a system kit with refills available. however I am trying to estimate how much I would need of each product if I purchased them separately.

If I understand I would need
    Clean 3.8
    Rinse 3.0
    LeatherHydrator 3.3
    LeatherFatliquor 5.0
    EffectWax 8.6
    Protector D+

Would 250 ml of each be enough in your best guess or would I need a quart of each? more?
    Last edited by Zander; 02-18-2020 at 11:17 AM.

>>> That is very helpful. is there one for Aniline wax pull-up with a satin finish?

Yes, if you like satin finish, use ‘satin’ finish
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/aniline...in-heavy-duty/

The pro of using a translucent satin finish is to hide some leather grain imperfection. But it will also marr the beauty of the grain too.
    The transparent gloss build-up with layers, thus you could stop to the satin level and not add more layers on. The technique is the same as varnishing wood.

>>> I dont think mine would be glossy, but that is all I have found?

I personally work with Restoration Hardware wax pull-up leather, and I use the ‘gloss’ that produces better results with better control how on many layers to achieve the desired result.

>>> Would 250 ml of each be enough in your best guess or would I need a quart of each? More?

Surface spreading of product is easier to estimate, thus the Protector-D+ should be enough, however, as this leather is absorbent, the estimation will vary by thickness and the existing fat, oil and wax effect moisture content. Test on one cushion and you will know how much you need to complete the rest.

I feel intimidated by the periodic maintenance. Its brand new (to me) and rather large. Only the back cushions are removable as the seat cusions are sewn in on the front.
    Do you remove the stuffing for the Hydrator and fatliquor steps?

As we discussed on the phone I made a call to Restoration Hardware to get more information about the leather on this couch. I began to question if it was a wax pull up after reading more desciptions.

According to RH my couch is made of Cavalo Leather. The customer service Rep wasnt able to tell me much more.

The Website describes Cavalo as
    "Cavalo uses a new proprietary dying technique on this top grain pure aniline leather has a distinctive natural look that is enchanced by over 40 hours of hand finishing. This leather is extremely smooth and extremely soft to touch. This South American hide becomes even softer and more supple with age and wear. Cavalo is a South American Hide and finished in Brazil"

The feel of this leather is as described. extremely soft and smooth. It litteraly feels like soft butter. There is little to no gloss at all to the finish

the description says pure aniline. Does that mean there is no finish? if so would that mean I stop after Fatliquoring? so Clean 3.8 -> Rinse 3.0 -> Hydrator 3.3 -> Fatliquor 5.0 -> done?

At this point Im not sure what topcoat I should use or what finish I should use. What do you recommend?

Can you put my order on hold until we have a chance to discuss further? What do you recommend. I do not want to alter the look and feel of this wonderful sofa, but I do want to clean and protect it!

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by Zander; 02-21-2020 at 11:14 AM.

>>> the description says pure aniline. Does that mean there is no finish? if so would that mean I stop after Fatliquoring? so Clean 3.8 -> Rinse 3.0 -> Hydrator 3.3 -> Fatliquor 5.0 -> done?

Pure aniline will still have a topcoat finish to seal the dyestuff otherwise it is easily rub off to light color clothings or bleeds when wet.
    The Topcoat is found here:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-21n-natural/

And the protector is found here:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/protector-s-3/

Product Description

AnilineTop-21N is the finest, most natural breathable topcoat for pure-aniline leathers. This topcoat merely locks the dyestuff from crocking or bleeding to a degree with a discontinuous film that allows natural transpiration to take place with a silky or talcum feel of touch. This is a waterbased formulation to improve wet rub fastness and reduces bleeding over Aniline-21. Matching non-stick, rub-resistant protection is to use the silky-feel leather-scented Protector-S+ or the scentless Protector-S.

Instruction:
    1. Apply by padding, brushing or fine airbrushing for professional results a panel at a time for even coverage, avoiding streaks, drips, and spits.
    2. Let dry or speed dry in between coating and continue with subsequent 2 to 3 coatings.

Non-stick, Rub-resistant Protections:

Use silky-feel leather scented Protector-S+ or scentless Protector-S.

Note:
    Topcoat may be an option - if there is an absorbency difference from used and non-used area, you want to balance up to the non-used area absorbency rate.

Note:
    I used Towel-5 damp it and wipe the topcoat on, let dry and repeat until satisfaction produces the best result.

Note:
    Similarly with the Protector-S+ just simply used the lint-free Towel-5
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 02-21-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks for your help (again)

I have decided to hold off on my order for now.
    Can you please refund my purchase? let me know if you need anything to make that happen.

PayPal charges a reverse fee see photshop

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.16.31 AM.png
Views: 1535
Size:  43.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Zander View Post
    I feel intimidated by the periodic maintenance. Its brand new (to me) and rather large. Only the back cushions are removable as the seat cusions are sewn in on the front.
    Do you remove the stuffing for the Hydrator and fatliquor steps?

As we discussed on the phone I made a call to Restoration Hardware to get more information about the leather on this couch. I began to question if it was a wax pull up after reading more desciptions.

According to RH my couch is made of Cavalo Leather. The customer service Rep wasnt able to tell me much more.

The Website describes Cavalo as
    "Cavalo uses a new proprietary dying technique on this top grain pure aniline leather has a distinctive natural look that is enchanced by over 40 hours of hand finishing. This leather is extremely smooth and extremely soft to touch. This South American hide becomes even softer and more supple with age and wear. Cavalo is a South American Hide and finished in Brazil"

The feel of this leather is as described. extremely soft and smooth. It litteraly feels like soft butter. There is little to no gloss at all to the finish

the description says pure aniline. Does that mean there is no finish? if so would that mean I stop after Fatliquoring? so Clean 3.8 -> Rinse 3.0 -> Hydrator 3.3 -> Fatliquor 5.0 -> done?

At this point Im not sure what topcoat I should use or what finish I should use. What do you recommend?

Can you put my order on hold until we have a chance to discuss further? What do you recommend. I do not want to alter the look and feel of this wonderful sofa, but I do want to clean and protect it!

Thanks again!!
    This morning, I ran in 85 degree/80% humidity, windy conditions. I'm already a heavy sweater and today was no exception. By the end of my 8 mile run, my shoes were soaked with sweat. When I got home, I put them by a fan while I got ready for work. I know when I get home they will smell like bigfoot's taint and torture my olfactory nerves. I can not be the only one with this issue, so I ask you, the Slowtwitch community, for your advice on how to clean my shoes. Washing machine on delicate? Hand wash? Bleach em, burn em, and burry them in the back yard? Hoka Tracers with approx 150 miles on them, so buying a new pair isn't the answer yet.

>>> By the end of my 8 mile run, my shoes were soaked with sweat. When I got home, I put them by a fan while I got ready for work. I know when I get home they will smell like bigfoot's taint and torture my olfactory nerves. I can not be the only one with this issue, so I ask you, the Slowtwitch community, for your advice on how to clean my shoes.

I recommend washing by machine on delicate and after spinning dry treat with either Clean Odor 4.5 or Kill Bacteria 3.7.

Name:  CleanOdor-4.5_250F__37897.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  22.1 KB
    Clean Odor 4.5 by Leather Doctor is a general deodorizer after cleaning for the effective deodorizing of unpleasant human or pet body odor from leather & suede.
    https://leatherdoctor.com/clean-odor-4-5/

Name:  KillBacteria-3.7_250F__68763.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  21.6 KB
    Kill Bacteria 3.7 by Leather Doctor is a bactericide for disinfecting and controlling pungent odor-causing activities after decontamination cleaning.
    https://leatherdoctor.com/kill-bacteria-3-7/

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    phone: 604 773 1878