Thread: Dry and Darkened Vachetta

Post Dry and Darkened Vachetta

Hi Roger,

I purchased the V3 kit and I'm so excited to use it once it arrives. I was hoping you could confirm the steps I need to take to bring back to life the damaged vachetta.

First problem is the dry and cracked leather that's on the straps and on the top of trim of the purse. The top trim has some rips and I know they are past repair, I just hope to get the vachetta moisturized and clean around those rips.

Second, is the darkening on the middle part of the straps and the back side of one of them where I used baby wipes. The second pictures shows the comparison with the darkened strap treated by baby wipes and on the left is it's natural color. I wonder if the kit will be able to reverse back the baby wipes damage. The darkening in the middle of both straps is from regular use.

Third, are some minor water stains at the bottom of the purse.

I want to make sure I take the right steps with the products I purchased. Would I need to hydrate several times before I do anything with the darkening and water stains?

Thanks for all you help!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

>>> First problem is the dry and cracked leather that's on the straps and on the top of trim of the purse. The top trim has some rips and I know they are past repair, I just hope to get the vachetta moisturized and clean around those rips.

Caution, now that the vachetta has shown cracks, that means that it is already dry of its original fatliquor (fat and oil) content. It is only allow to dry after the continuing ‘wet cleaning and conditioning” process: VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 - then allow to dry (to keep it wet throughout the mentioned process will prevent the leather from dry cracking). Also note that this leather is very thirsty and will need lots of fatliquor. A sufficient fatliquored leather would have an average of 15% fat and oil when dry. This 15% fat and oil content will keep your leather supple with strength from cracking.

>>> Second, is the darkening on the middle part of the straps and the back side of one of them where I used baby wipes. The second pictures shows the comparison with the darkened strap treated by baby wipes and on the left is it's natural color. I wonder if the kit will be able to reverse back the baby wipes damage.

“darkened strap treated by baby wipes”
    Vachetta leather has a pH value of 2 to 4 a pH point lower then the chrome tanned leather. Check out the pH value of the baby wipes and you will see the reason as the pH value of the baby is too way high in alkalinity. A common mistake is also by using baking soda, dishwasher, or any other detergent and most leather cleaners will also browns and darkens the vachetta leather. To reverse the baby wipes damages is through pH-balancing back the leather to its neutral pH value of 2 to 4 by these Leather Doctor’s product, namely: VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 and Vachetta-2.8. Note the product suffix number, that number represents the low pH value of the products. Surface damages of skin exfoliation and abrasion is smooth out with AnilineTop-21W system after Vachetta-2.8 treatment http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-21w-waxy-matte/

>>> The darkening in the middle of both straps is from regular use.

Body oil, grease and sweat stuff up the breathing pores to produce a darkening effect. To degrease will need Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 instruction from Leather Doctor Kit-V4: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-v4-...g-removal-kit/

>>> Third, are some minor water stains at the bottom of the purse.

Even water with a pH value of 7 will stain the Vachetta leather, so salt water with a pH value will produce a darker stain it also deteriorate the outer layer of the leather grains. Anyway, VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 and Vachetta-2.8 system will rectify the water stains.

>>> Would I need to hydrate several times before I do anything with the darkening and water stains?

Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 has nothing to do with the darkening and water stain. Do you know what it is for, now?

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information