Thread: Yellowing Calfskin

Default Yellowing Calfskin

Hi Roger,

I was hoping for your advice on my white calfskin wallet that has been yellowing. This was bought second hand and I'm assuming the yellowing is from daily use but I did hear that some white leather tends to yellow naturally overtime. I wonder if there is a way to bring it back to it's original white color. Also, the left side of the wallet has water damage and lost shape and I'm curious if the fatliquor-hydrator steps would help to somewhat restore it. I previously used the meguirar's leather cleaner/conditioner right after the water damage but it seems it didn't do enough. I'm thinking of buying the V3 kit for my vachetta on a different piece and wonder if any of those products could assist in breathing life into this wallet.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

>>> I was hoping for your advice on my white calfskin wallet . . .

Don't be disappointed, to me it is "PIGSKIN" at first glance.

Where do you get the information that it is calfskin?

We can get to your questions in the next post.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

I assumed it’s calfskin from a google search on similar items.. I might be wrong though. Thanks for suck quick response!

>>> This was bought second hand and I'm assuming the yellowing is from daily use but I did hear that some white leather tends to yellow naturally overtime. I wonder if there is a way to bring it back to it's original white color.

If the yellowing is due to oxidation, a reduction-oxidation product such as Leather Doctor Vachetta-2.8
    (http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-v3-...g-removal-kit/) is formulated to lighten up yellowing particularly effective for Louis Vuitton, Coach and other brands vachetta leathers. Not sure it will also work on this pigskin leather.

>>> Also, the left side of the wallet has water damage

It will help if you mark out the water damage. Anyway, water damaged in most cases is due to the pH value of the water and saltwater pH value will be higher then 8. Leather has a pH value of 3 to 5. To pH balance the alkalinity in the water CleanPro-1.5
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/cleanpro-1-5-2/
    with a pH value of 1.5 is used and rinse off with Acidifier-2.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/acidifier-2-0/
    with a pH value of 2.0 system is used.

>>> and lost shape and I'm curious if the fatliquor-hydrator steps would help to somewhat restore it.

Yes! Hydrator-3.3 has to be soak through the reverse side to relax the entire leather structure. When relax you start to stretch it back to shape. And to hold the shape when dry, you need to saturate with Fatliquor-5.0 a few times until the leather absorbency is reduced and leave to slow dry to retain the restored shape.

>>> I previously used the meguirar's leather cleaner/conditioner right after the water damage but it seems it didn't do enough.

If you see any product that mentioned NOT TO BE USED ON SUEDE, you may damage your leather further. Logically the reverse of smooth leather is the nappy suede. Leather Doctor system is based on science (biochemistry) and simple logic.

>>> I'm thinking of buying the V3 kit for my vachetta on a different piece and wonder if any of those products could assist in breathing life into this wallet.

It certainly will restore any browning discoloration on vachetta leathers, especially the popular Louis Vuitton; you may give it a try.

Note:
    Looking at the last picture, if this inside flap you are talking about is “yellowing”, then I think it could be the original color and the exposed surface of the second last picture is faded.

This is very helpful information, thank you. I will take your advice and try the products you recommended.

Thread Information