Thread: Coach 65th Anniversary Ali Bag - hard and tough - verdigris/metal stain.

Default Coach 65th Anniversary Ali Bag - hard and tough - verdigris/metal stain.

Hi Roger,

I have a Coach 65th Anniversary Ali Bag that seems to be made of Vachetta Leather. The hardware has a serious verdigris problem that keeps reoccurring in my climate and unfortunately it keeps staining the whiskey leather surrounding it.

I was so fed up with continually cleaning it I actually took the bag and washed it. After it dried out the leather is hard and tough... and the verdigris came back anyway...

Can you advise the bare minimum steps I need to take for it to have some resemblance to the bag I once had? I'm also thinking of dyeing it so I don't have to keep seeing ugly spots or stains...

Regards
    Jas

Name:  DSCN8666.JPG
Views: 1118
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  DSCN8669.JPG
Views: 1073
Size:  1.15 MB

>>> Can you advise the bare minimum steps I need to take for it to have some resemblance to the bag I once had?

Step-1 - VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system is recommended for Vachetta from progressing unwanted browning effect.

Step-2 - Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system is recommended to rectify hardness and toughness when dry and return to its original suppleness with strength.

Step-3 - Vachetta-2.8 treatment lightens up darkening effect.

Step-4 - Protector-D helps reduce sticky soiling and friction rubs.

Step-5 - Vachetta-2.8 helps to improve the hardware of stains, however CleanTarnish-1.3 > Basifier-8.8 > Rinse-3.0 system is delicate for such verdigris stains.

Step-6 - AnilineTop-76 coating over the metal hardware will reduce atmospheric contact to a gloss, thus solves the verdigris re-occurrence problems.

>>> I'm also thinking of dyeing it so I don't have to keep seeing ugly spots or stains...

If these ugly spots or stains have a musty smell, then KillMold-3.6 is recommended to control mold infestation before thinking of dyeing as the last resort.

Here is the link to Leather Doctor Kit-V3, for further tips and instructions
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-v3-...g-removal-kit/

Products mentioned other then found on Kit-V3 may be added from the Leather Doctor on-line store, just scroll down the categories on the left.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

>>> is it possible to get away with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3,

This system objective is to return the original leather integrity with suppleness and tensile strength - free from stiffness and cracking.

>>> then maybe Kill Mold

KillMold-3.6 is applied between Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0/Rinse-3.0 system and Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

>>> and then just dye the whole thing a darker shade (by the way, do you have any recommendations for dyes)?

Antique-Brown or Dark-Brown Aniline-76 will camouflage any mold marks. Any skin damages is smoothen with Adhesor-73 prior to dyeing. And Aniline-76 transparent dyestuff should then be seal with AnilineTop-76Gloss or Satin luster of choice.

>>> It just doesn't make sense to me to keep doing all this over and over again if the situation will just repeat itself.

Agree, a darker shade makes sense.

>>> On another note, my small classic Channel lambskin bag is showing cracks as well, can I also use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 as well?

Yes! This system is for all leathers and suede.

>>> Lastly is Fatliquor.LS-5.5 the same as Fatliquor-5.0? Can I use them interchangeably?

Yes, can be used interchangeably. LS-5.5 is the classical leather scented version of 5.0.

Hi Roger,

I think the cracks on my other bags were more serious than I first thought, the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 steps aren't going to be enough. Because of my mold problem, I tend to keep my bags dry... Can you see the pictures and advise? I think I also need Bond 3D then 7A?

Regards
    JasName:  DSCN8681.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSCN8682.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  1.26 MBName:  DSCN8683.JPG
Views: 972
Size:  1.26 MBName:  DSCN8687.JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  1.00 MB

>>> Can you see the pictures and advise?

1- First, take care of the leather dryness (fat and oil content) problem; the cracking will be less obvious for sure.

2- Second, until you are satisfied with the leather suppleness, KillMold-3.6 treatment is a straight forward application.

3- Third, without considering a color refinishing, just only repairing with Bond-3D > Bond-7A may not look aesthetically pleasing.

>>>3- Third, without considering a color refinishing, just only repairing with Bond-3D > Bond-7A may not look aesthetically pleasing.

So I take it that Bond-3D > Bond-7A is the correct application? You do have quite a number products and it's a little confusing.

So after the repairs I will then have to follow up with Anline76 and Anline21-G / Anline76-G? Do I need to color the whole bag or just the spots that are mended?

Will the color refinishing affect the softness of the bag? If it doesn't, do you have white color? I have a bag that was repaired by the boutique but it came back stiff after the recoloring - if I can regain the softness of the original lambskin, what do I need to strip and redo the finish?

>>> So I take it that Bond-3D > Bond-7A is the correct application? You do have quite a number products and it's a little confusing.

Take a little time to understand the mentioned products and its usage. All products are inter-related and you have to know the sequences to get it right. Instructions are also in each of the products.

>>> So after the repairs I will then have to follow up with Anline76 and Anline21-G / Anline76-G?

See this Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a7-...finishing-kit/
    And in your crack situation that you wish to repair the inner strength below the surface you need Impregnator-26
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/impregnator-26/
    Bond-3D > Bond-7A is only repairing surface cracks, so when the below surface is not strengthen, and weak the surface have to take the load of stressing.
    Do you see the logic?

>>> Do I need to color the whole bag or just the spots that are mended?

Appearance is quite individual, and if you are happy just to spot color, do as you please.
    But bear in mind that fresh color and sun faded color do differs in color intensity.

>>> Will the color refinishing affect the softness of the bag?

Color refinishing does not affect the softness or suppleness of the bag, it is the leather structure that needs to rejuvenate or replenishing its original fat and oil that diminishes that is the problem. So soften up the flexibility of the leather first to satisfaction before you proceed with color refinishing.

>>> If it doesn't, do you have white color?

There are 2 pigment white system to choose from Micro-54
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/micro-54/
    and Napa-84.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/napa-84/
    Micro-54 does not breath only until micro crazing appears, while Napa-84 breaths as it form a “discontinuous” film.
    Both system is available in white, difference is characteristic in application, feel and the ability to breathe.

>>> I have a bag that was repaired by the boutique but it came back stiff after the recoloring - if I can regain the softness of the original lambskin, what do I need to strip and redo the finish?

Please post this other bag in a new thread, so that it is not that confusing.

Please post one problem to one thread, then you are not confusing me and I am not confusing you!

You have 3 bags, so there should be 3 threads, withouf causing confusion! Agree?

Thread Information