Thread: Zebra Skin Repair

Default Zebra Skin Repair

Hi Roger

I have a few zebra skins that need some hydrating and repair.

Can you please advise a kit I can use for both skins.

I also have some other skins that I can use as donors if necessary.

I was thinking if hydrating the Skin of the below and then trimming the nose area to just above the brown nose markings rather than repairing.

Your thoughts and Recomendation of a kit eg H7, would be appreciat

Regards, Geordie

Name:  ZebraPlay1.jpeg
Views: 590
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  ZebraPaly2.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  147.6 KB

Name:  ZebraPlay3.jpeg
Views: 521
Size:  151.1 KB

>>> I have a few zebra skins that need some hydrating and repair.

“Hydrating”

or leather structure rejuvenating also means to replenish it original moisture content, and these moisture contents are mainly fatliquor (ionic charged fat and oil) commonly used in modern tanning.

In the Leather Doctor skin Hydrato-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 rejuvenating system (after dry and wet cleaning of general soiling).

1- Hydrator-3.3 first step is to relax the skin stiffness and soaks up to fullness, so that ionic negative (-ve) charged fat and oil can moves into the leather fibrillary system to hydrogen bond with the protein skin fiber. Hydrator-3.3 other function also helps to bring up the ionic positive (+ve) charge of the protein skin fiber for a longer lasting hydrogen bond.

2- Fatliquor-5.0 fat and oil content that hydrogen bond with the skin protein fiber is what matters that impart suppleness to the skin with added strength. An up to 14% average will bring the health of the skin back to the original tanning suppleness.

3- Hydrator-3.3 last step is to remove remaining surface fat and oil residue to reduce surface soiling.

“Repair”

Bond-3D becomes part of the skin homogenously and is used for bonding purposes by “patching” or “stitching”.

1- Patching - is perform with help of leather Patch-4S + Bond-3D.

2- Stitching - is perform with Curve-Needle + Hide Repair Thread + Bond-3D + Donor Suede Fiber.

>>> Can you please advise a kit I can use for both skins? Your thoughts and Recommendations of a kit eg H7, would be appreciated.

See this Kit-H7+, product description and instructions. Refills are available as individual products.

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-h7-...ting-care-kit/

Name:  Kit_H7+.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  15.3 KB

>>> I also have some other skins that I can use as donors if necessary. I was thinking if hydrating the Skin of the below and then trimming the nose area to just above the brown nose markings rather than repairing.

Trimming is subjective, objectively the lining becomes burdensome and the stitching rows begins to tear should be removed to allow working on the suede side and leaving it free access for regular fatliquoring to maintain flatness of the skin. A well fatliquored healthy skin should not curl at the edges.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information