Thread: Gardner- Stingray cabinet with a red popsicle stain

Default Gardner- Stingray cabinet with a red popsicle stain

Roger,
    A child must have set a red popsicle on the top of this cabinet. I also saw a small oily looking stain too. I did a little testing on one of the leather covered legs and although I got a lot of black dye transfer it did not seem to change the look of the leather. Let me know how I should proceed at removing the 2 stains.

Name:  20181218_122706.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  3.85 MB
    12-18 A

Name:  20181218_123303.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  3.27 MB
    12-18 B Test area

Name:  20181218_124106.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  3.83 MB
    12-18 C Black dye on my cloth from a 1" x 1" area

Name:  20181218_123656.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  5.44 MB
    12-18 D The red stain

Name:  20181218_124603.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  6.05 MB
    12-18 E A greasy looking stain too

>>> Roger, Let me know how I should proceed at removing the 2 stains.

>>> I also saw a small oily looking stain too.

The oily looking stain may be removed by Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 and feather out to the entire surface. When satisfactory may need leather rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 to the entire surface to even out appearance.

>>> A child must have set a red popsicle on the top of this cabinet.

To remove the red popsicle, there is a high possibility that the black dyes may be removed as well and need to be refinished accordingly. To remove is by CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0. Thereafter leather rejuvenate with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3.

A combination removal is by CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0 > Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3.

When dry for both stain removal satisfaction, we could determine the extent/scope of the dye loss restoration required.

Please show pictures of your progress as record for reference.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

I'm going to test on the side of the leg before working on the top.
    I plan on applying cleandye 7.9 to the side of the leg, cover with 1 layer of paper towel, insure that it is making complete contact, let it dwell overnight or a few days, then remove it and Acidifier-2.0 Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3.

Then I'm going to test another leg for the Degreasing procedure, Apply Degreaser-2.2, Agitate, absorb, repeat, re-apply, cover with paper towel, dwell overnight, and Acidifier-2.0 Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3.

Let both areas dry and check results.

Sounds good,

Might as well take some good pictures to see the response.

If the area is hidden away, try with actual stains instead, oil, butter for grease remover and like ball point, permanent marker, dyestuff for dyestuff removal.

I'm still testing because the Clean Dye left an oily looking spot after it dried. I'm going out of town for a week before I can try to rinse it some more. I don't want to risk it on the top because it is in such an obvious area.

Name:  20190211_134520.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  3.89 MB
    2-19A Oily looking spot from Clean dye on lower left rectangle

>>> I'm still testing because the Clean Dye left an oily looking spot after it dried.

It has too much residue that needs to be rinse off with Acidifier-2.0 to pH-balance at the same time.

As this is a new product developed originally for non-absorbent leathers, it is now being used also for absorbent leathers aw well.

The difference is only surface wipe with the least possible for product to be absorbed, otherwise tedious to rinse it off until free of suds.

Since it is to remove dyes, excess or weak leather dyes may also be affected to a degree, so use with understanding and it should be fine.

Thread Information