Thread: E46 BMW M3 with Cinnamon Nappa Leather

Default E46 BMW M3 with Cinnamon Nappa Leather

Hi Roger, thanks for taking the time to speak with me on the phone the other day. I was referred by a friend, and had previously read this helpful thread: http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...M-Matte-finish

My car is a 2002 BMW M3 that I've had for a bit, and am working to restore. It has 225,000 km and a questionable ownership history. My efforts to date have been focused on sorting various mechanical issues, and now that that is finished I am turning my attention to the interior (and body/paint).

My primary goal is to restore the suppleness of the seats and steering wheel. I was able to get the interior back to being mostly clean and matte in appearance using a different cleaner, a horse hair detailing brush, and a different leather conditioner. With these products, I was able to get the leather looking reasonably nice. However, the seats are still quite dry feeling, and have a few creases. Plus the bolsters are quite worn and cracked, though in time I might just have the panels replaced, as the stitching is also coming apart. My hope is not to take the seats apart. Here are some pictures (apologies for the variation in colour - was a bit hurried):

Picture #1 - Interior
    Name:  IMG_2604-XL.jpg
Views: 8770
Size:  145.4 KB

Picture #2 - Steering wheel close up
    Name:  IMG_2598-XL.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  104.6 KB

Picture #3 - Wear on steering wheel and worn leather texture
    Name:  IMG_2600-XL.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  68.9 KB

Picture #4 - Dry and creased leather on seat
    Name:  IMG_2608-XL.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  76.8 KB

Picture #5 - Wear on seat back bolster (considering having these panels replaced)
    Name:  IMG_2610-XL.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  68.7 KB

Picture #6 - Wear on seat bottom bolster
    Name:  IMG_2612-XL.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  82.4 KB

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Erik

>>> I was able to get the interior back to being mostly clean and matte in appearance using a different cleaner,

Since the leather protein fiber is an “amphoteric” material, any solution used that is alkaline (that is having a pH value more then 7) will shift the protein leather fiber ionic negative (-ve). Any alkalinity residue will then need to be neutralized or pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0, otherwise the existing leather constituents like the tanning agents and fatliquor suffers. When tanning agents weakens, it manifest as tackiness. And when fatliquor (ionic negative fat and oil) breaks the hydrogen bond with the protein fiber, dryness that leads to dry rot and cracks appears.

>>> a horse hair detailing brush,

A leatherEraser-4 and a white cotton terry towel help.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leathereraser-4/

>>> and a different leather conditioner.

A leather conditioner meant for the leather structure thickness for suppleness is different from the one for surface tactile-feel (buttery-feel for seats and draggy-feel for steering wheels) as rub-resistant (to reduce surface friction rubs).

>>> With these products, I was able to get the leather looking reasonably nice.

A holistic approach is more then just appearance; suppleness, tactile-feel, non-stick, rub-resistant and leather-scent what makes leather over other materials.

>>> However, the seats are still quite dry feeling,

The tactile buttery-feel is lacking and instantly makes a different with Protector-B/B+.

>>> and have a few creases. Plus the bolsters are quite worn and cracked,

A leather rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 will relax the shrinkage and crushed structure.
    Fullness with suppleness when dry is accomplished with Fatliquor-5.0 (ionic negative -ve charged fat and oil).

>>> though in time I might just have the panels replaced,

I would not replaced the panels, as it is unlikely to have a match, even with a new color refinishing, a sharp eye would know the difference. Just like part of your suit is replace by another tailor - the smartness may be gone, as an example.

>>> as the stitching is also coming apart.

Getting the correct thread specification and hand stitch solves the stitching, as original needle holes are reused and not creating unnecessary new holes.

>>> My primary goal is to restore the suppleness of the seats and

Recommend Leather Doctor Kit-Ap3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ap3...ther-care-kit/
    Name:  Kit-Ap3.JPG
Views: 1459
Size:  1.51 MB
    Suggest that Prep-4.4
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/prep-4-4/
    is used instead of Prep-7.7 safer to the exposed leather structure.
    To strengthen the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) from alkalinity exposure, Acidifier-2.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/acidifier-2-0/
    is recommended.

>>> steering wheel. Picture #3 - Wear on steering wheel and worn leather texture

Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Impregnator-26 (optional) > Adhesor-73 > Micro-54 > MicroTop-54S (satin with Doller-63 to match) > Protector-D/D+ (draggy-feel for a safe grip without slippering).
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ap7...finishing-kit/
    To be further discussed if refinishing is the intent to both the steering wheel and the seats.

A online-life-coaching will help do it right on-the-spot confidently, is also available besides this forum discussion.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-29-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Thread Information