Thread: Natuzzi leather set sticky

Default Natuzzi leather set sticky

I have some questions about cleaning a natuzzi leather set that I have, the couch is sticky to the point your clothes and hair peel off when you get up. Need some help how on the proper way to clean, dye, repair, or whatever needs to be done to it so I can back to using it.

Now the Ottoman, chair and love seat are starting to get that way as well. What can I do to stop and restore it?

Name:  20180620_123208.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  3.96 MB

Name:  20180620_123155.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  4.02 MB

Name:  20180620_123149.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  5.75 MB

Name:  20180620_123142.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  4.15 MB

Name:  20180620_123129.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  3.82 MB

Let us know how long you have been using this set of leather?

What are the cleaning products used and how often?

Where is your geographical location?

>>> Now the Ottoman, chair and love seat are starting to get that way as well. What can I do to stop and restore it?

The finishing is deteriorating due to a combination of factors. To stop it from getting worse or restore it back to non-sticky finishes, the leather need to be degrease of foreign debris, pH balanced, deteriorating topcoat partially removed and new topcoat with a cross-linker to ties up some of the hydrophilic elements that eliminate stickiness.
    Color coating is an option if the color is intact prior to topcoat refinishing. This topcoat refinishing should be able to give the leather another lease of life. Field tested since 2006 with satisfaction from DIY user, when carried out the instruction accordingly.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

We have had it about 7 years. We have used auto leather cleaner and conditioner on it but it seems like it has made it worse.

What products and process can be used on it?

>>> We have used auto leather cleaner and conditioner on it but it seems like it has made it worse.

Please show us pictures of products you have used. Is there an indication of its pH value? or any warning not to be used on suede?

>>> What products

Products used must be able to remove the leather cleaner and conditioner residue that may be one of the contributing factors.

Where is your location, would like to know its humidity - is it hot and humid that made the stickiness worse or cold and dry?

>>> and process can be used on it?

I will come to that, you like to have a long term solution, don’t you?

Here is a picture of products used. I also used the methods mentioned on Google of using speed sudsName:  20180816_170853.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  3.77 MB.

I am located in Georgia.

>>> Here is a picture of products used.

Check the pH value of both the cleaner you used.
    If the pH value is not between 3 and 5 (the pH neutral of leather) then it is not safe for leather, the reverse side of leather is suede and if it is not recommended for suede then it is not safe for leather as well. Cleaner that has a high pH value swells and weakens the leather finishes, cleaner that has a low pH value tightens up and strengthen the leather finishes with a tight squeaky feel.

When using a conditioner, take note if it is meant to soften the leather, then it should penetrate the leather into the leather structure, which is technically a suede conditioner. And if it is caution against using on suede then it contradicts itself.

A liquid conditioner has more penetrating power then a cream conditioner; if both are made to soften leather then it has to penetrate the top-coat and the color-coat (leather finishes) in order to soften it.

If they stays on top of the leather finishes, it will certainly contribute to the stickiness.

>>> I also used the methods mentioned on Google of using speed suds

Thanks, if you could share with us exactly what this speed suds is?

>>> I am located in Georgia.

A humid environment contributes to the leather finishes stickiness as well. Keeping humidity below 55% has less of a leather finishes stickiness problem as well.

>>> What can I do to stop and restore it?

Start to rectify the stickiness problem with this Kit-B7+ and we can discuss “the proper way to clean” later
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b7-...nishing-kit-1/
    Name:  Kit-B7+.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  1.74 MB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 08-20-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Thread Information