Thread: Leather hat care

Default Leather hat care

Hello.

I'm a newbie to leather care (never owned anything leather that I actually "cared" for) and I've recently taken to wearing a leather hat I picked up while in Mexico. I've also recently started hiking long distances, and plan to stay out for days, so weather and sweat are my main concerns.

So first off, this hat was made in Mexico (bought it in Cozumel) and I'm unsure if its treated with anything. My original thought was to water proof it, but I read many conflicting opinions on whether or not this is a good idea. I would love some advise on this, and what products to use. The thing I'm really unsure about is the different approach to use for the top vs the underside...

Name:  Under.jpeg
Views: 334
Size:  362.8 KB
    Name:  Top.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  431.0 KB
    Name:  BW.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  547.0 KB
    (Girlfriend caught me off guard heh)

Second concern is sweat. It is a little heavy and a little hot so I do sweat a bit. I read that cleaning with baby shampoo and a damp wash cloth is a good idea. I'm wondering if I should coat the inner top portion of the hat to protect it from constantly getting wet and drying out over and over.

So those are my questions, thanks for your time and any advise you can give.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

>>> so weather and sweat are my main concerns.

An oil pull-up leather type would meet your requirement more appropriately.
    These leathers are impregnated with EffectOil-2.8. The oil acts as a natural water repellent for outdoors activities. The suffix number denotes its pH value, thus 2.8 is the pH value of this ionic negative (-ve) charged oil that neutralize the sweat from denaturing the leather as well. Keep this hat for less sweaty activities is my recommendation.

>>> My original thought was to waterproof it, but I read many conflicting opinions on whether or not this is a good idea. I would love some advise on this, and what products to use.

Fatliquor-5.0 is the primary structural conditioner that keeps the leather supple from stiffness and cracking. The fat and oil does keep the leather less absorbent to liquid ingress. You may wonder why leather tannery worldwide NEVER “waterproof” their leather?

>>> The thing I'm really unsure about is the different approach to use for the top vs the underside...

Use the same approach to both the top and the underside.

>>> I read that cleaning with baby shampoo and a damp wash cloth is a good idea.

If only the baby shampoo has a pH value between 3 and 5 after diluting with distilled water. Otherwise use Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 (3.8 and 3.0 are both pH value of cleaner and rinse) for routine cleaning. Any sweaty stain would require VachettaPro-1.2 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0. If stain persist it may by further rinse with Acidifier-2.0 or redox (reduction oxidation) with Vachetta-2.8

>>> I'm wondering if I should coat the inner top portion of the hat to protect it from constantly getting wet and drying out over and over.

Sealing it with AnilineTop-76 may be an option, but any water resistant material used may not feel as comfortable, as it also kills leather transpiration or its ability to breathe.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Great info, Thank you very much

Just like any other leather product i think it needs regular cleaning and use of leather conditioner at regular intervals.

Thread Information